Chapter 3

I close my car's door and open the trunk and my mom gets out of the car.

I look at the big campus ahead of me and the university — which I never expected to be accepted — It's not one of the best, but it's enough for me.

Other teenagers are crying, cheering, and hugging their parents as they walk to the dormitory center.

I ignore the hollow feeling in my stomach and I stare at them. They seem so happy.

My dad should have been here with me, with us.

This is an important day and he will never be here with me, ever again.

My mom puts an arm around my shoulders and I wipe away the single tear rolling on my cheek.

"It's ok, sweetheart." She gives my arms a little squeeze and I swallow the knot in my throat.

I can cry tonight, just not here.

My mom goes to the boot of my car and grabs two boxes.

I help her grab the remaining ones and I look around to see if Nicole is already here.

Not yet.

Freshman students have to come on Saturday to set up their dormitories and adjust to the new program and university life. I will have to check where the classes are to save time.

"I can't believe I'm letting you go," my mom speaks as we walk to the campus.

I just nod and I continue carrying the now heavier cardboard boxes filled with stuff I will probably never need.

We already know where my room is so we walk through the crowd in the hallway to get there.

It's filled with many people I have never seen before even though I know Dominic and Shanice used to invite most of the students from this college to the parties.

I wonder if Alexander is here already, I miss him.

I reach my door and I grab the key they gave me.

"Are you Veronica Reeves?" a middle-aged woman behind me asks.

I put down the boxes.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, there's been a mistake. Your room is on the third floor." She hands me another key and asks me to give my other key back.

I look at her confused and I worry I won't be in the same room as Nicole.

My mom is staring at us and she seems to not be able to hold the heavy boxes any longer.

"We will have this handled." She points to the key and I nod, when she is about to leave I stop her.

"Wait, am I not in the same room as Nicole Gilbert?" I ask.

"Hmm, I don't know. Sorry, I have to go now. You can ask at the student help center right outside the dormitory."

I look at the key and I grab the boxes then we keep walking to the elevator, my arms are starting to hurt.

We get to the third floor and walk to my new room, I take a breath of relief as I notice Nicole is here.

She already put all her stuff in the dorm and she smiles with her impeccable straight teeth when she notices me.