Chapter 22

I let Irène go, there wasn't much I could do about it.

She is drunk but so am I. I really need to lay down. My surroundings are spinning and my head is throbbing—likely because of Irène's confusing confession.

What was she even talking about? How did she kill her sister? She said it wasn't intentional but it's as if it was.

That girl is an enigma and I don't have enough brain cells to figure it out. Let alone deal with my own problems.

We came with my car so I can't leave her here, but I can use this moment to take a breath of fresh air.

She told me to go anyway.

No one is here. I force myself to walk to the living room again.

A few boys glance at me but I quickly look ahead of me, at the entrance.

When I stretch out my arm to open the door, the door is already ajar. I take a step back so it doesn't hit me.

A broad light-skinned man in tight jeans and a polo shirt appears in front of me. I squint my eyes to see better as the light from the porch blinds me and the alcohol is fully in my system now. 

"Oh fuck," I mutter under my breath when I realize I'm standing in front of Alexander. He is grinning.

I'm not even surprised he is here, I should have expected it, but I fully forgot about his existence these past weeks, especially after he forcibly kissed me. He didn't even care I was kidnapped, didn't check once on me. He also didn't talk to Dominic who used to be his friend.

"What a nice surprise," he says. "Veronica."

"Not much of a surprise." I sigh. "Neither nice."

"Don't be mean. I actually really wanted to talk to you these days," he adds as he walks past me and closes the door. "Were you leaving?"

"Now yes."

"I am sorry, trust me. I truly am. I shouldn't have done that to you. I just... I don't know. I was so angry at Derek. I wanted him to stay away," he says with sincerity—I think. "He ruined you. How can you forget how he made you feel last year?"

"It's not an excuse to force yourself on me," I say as I make myself smaller and take a step backward. I'm scared of him now. If he could easily do that, what else could he do to harm me?

"Don't be like this... please," he murmurs. "Listen. Let's just talk, I'll help you understand."

I nod, knowing that he can't hurt me in a room filled with people, even if they are drunk and so am I.

Alex sits on the couch and puts his phone on the glass table screen down and I just stand in front of him, confused if I should give him a chance to explain. Is it even worth it after what he did?

"Ok. Fine. I'll get you a drink, wait here," he says as he walks away.

I don't want a drink, to be honest, if I drink more than this I'll probably just pass out.

I need to sit down because the nausea is getting to me.

His phone buzzes once but I ignore it as I sit on the couch, near the end.