Chapter 6

Previously on chapter 4

Something in my backpack beeps so I unzip it and grab the phone.

A text message from an unknown number:

4462 Hillhaven Avenue at midnight

~

Veronica's POV

When someone you don't know, texts you to go to a certain address at a questionable hour, the wisest choice would be to not go.

I know it's stupid but I can't help but think it might be about Derek...

I will go with Irène just to be safe.

But who sent that message? What if it's Derek and he is out of prison? What if he escaped?

I quietly shake my head and I walk back to the dormitories.

I look at my phone and I contemplate whether I should text this person back or not.

If it was Derek he would have contacted me by calling... but maybe he can't. Maybe he is in trouble.

I furrow my eyebrows at the thought of Derek being hurt and I run hurriedly to my room.

Nicole and Irène must have lessons right now, I know if I tell Nicole she would think I'm insane that I want to go. Irène is the safest choice.

I rush inside the dorm and close the door abruptly, I lean against it and I press my hand against my forehead.

I let out an exasperated sigh, I miss him so much. I'm so exhausted from looking for signs in everything.

I grasp the phone in my hands tighter and I bring it closer to my face.

My fingers start trembling as I start typing on the keyboard.

Who are you?

I squeeze my eyes shut and I wait for the beep but nothing comes so I throw the phone on the bed, missing it.

The phone falls near the bedside table and I hear a crack.

"Oh, fuck." I curse too loudly.

I rush to the phone and the screen has a few cracks but it looks better than what I expected.

Perfect. This day couldn't get any worse.

The phone starts ringing:

Unknown number

I ignore my palms sweating as I pick up the phone, careful not to touch the split screen.

I let the resounding noise ring for a while and I stare at the screen terrified. My heart starts beating fast as I accept the call and bring the phone to my ear.

I hear their heavy breathing and I instinctively hold my breath as if they could hear every heartbeat.

"Who a-are you?" I repeat.

"..."

"You don't need to know who I am... but only what I can do to Derek," a deep male voice speaks with a sharp edge to his tone.