Chapter 32

I couldn't close an eye. I kept rolling over in my bed thinking about what Derek is going to say to me tonight.

I grab my textbook and I go to my first class this year.

One hour to sit through a class I don't care too much about.

I walk to the farthest seat from the professor and I sit down, taking out my notebook. I'll try to take some notes.

The class starts filling with various students and I don't even recognize some of them. Probably transfer or exchange students.

Professor Smith walks into the class soon after there aren't many seats. I guess we all try to study and be better the first day of the new semester, then we go back to cocaine and tequila.

Not me.

"Good morning," the professor says as he puts his business suitcase near the desk. "I hope you had a lovely break."

"Disgustingly lovely," a student murmurs, and I turn around to see who is it.

It's Alexander's ex-roommate.

I'm surprised he even goes to class. I think his name is Nathan or Nathaniel.

Thirty minutes later after professor Smith talks about the insurance laws, we hear a guy shout from the hallway and a lot of noise.

I turn around and look at Nathaniel by mistake and he smirks.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. What is that look supposed to mean? And what is happening outside?!

The students freak out as we hear the police sirens and a man yelling.

I quickly stand up, assuming the worst. Maybe Felix was caught on campus again... maybe one of my friends got hurt.

I leave my notebook and phone on the table and I'm the only one who leaves the class. The professor asks me to stop but I don't.

Once I am in the hallway, I see two police officers and a law enforcement dog running to the campus, towards the dormitory halls.

I take a step back, but the door to my class stops me. I bring my shaking hand to my mouth. I can't get a flashback now. I don't know what happened. I need to calm down.

One... breathe in... two... breathe out... three... breathe in

The police sirens stop. Utter silence for a few seconds.

I force my feet to walk ahead out of the hall and I cross the campus. People are staring at the dormitory hall and I start running towards it when I realize the cops are all going there.

Why the police dogs? This is so utterly similar to what happened to Derek...

I shouldn't run. I know I look suspicious, but I do it anyway. When I reach the door to the dormitory hall, a cop stops me.

"Where are you going, miss?" the cops asks as he slowly lets go of my arm.

"To my room... what is happening?"

"What's your room number?"

"312." My voice trembles and I somehow know I'm in trouble.

"I think you might have to come with us."

"Why? What happened?"

"We found cocaine and a gun in your dorm's closet. It's supposedly Irène Lorey's but we need to be sure."

"No..."

Not again.

Irène comes out of the hall with her hands handcuffed to her back and I stare at her until they bring her to me.