Chapter 7

I squirm my eyes and quickly open them when I still feel unraveled in darkness, fear, and the unknown of what is going to happen to me.

I start panting as I realize what just happened to me, what I got myself into.

It feels like something very bad is going to happen. I shake off my head.

I'm near the stairs, far away from these silhouettes but perhaps near a worse person.

I look around, trying to adjust my eyes to the minimal lighting and I notice the man standing by my side. I can't see his face, but he is looking over his shoulder at the spot he dragged me from.

I want to scream but I'm paralyzed with fear and I'm not sure I'd want to be saved by those sketchy men over there. I'm completely utterly fucked.

"Please, let me go-" I force myself to speak and the man finally turns to me, the dim lights slightly shining onto his features.

"Dominic..." I mutter confused as I try to rub my eyes. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems more like a nightmare.

He puts his finger to his lips and gestures me to be quiet. My heart starts beating fast. What is happening?

The shadow figures are slowly leaving and I breathe out heavily, relieved.

I'm with Dominic, I'm fine.

But why is he here?

And if I don't meet up with those people, what is going to happen to Derek? Are they going to call me again?

Dominic comes to me and kneels near me, he presses his hand against his mouth and rubs his chin. I've never seen him this bothered.

"Veronica..." he starts softly. "You have no idea what you got yourself into."

I can swear my heart missed a beat, I place my hands on the rough wall as I push myself up, my palms grinding against the scratchy material.

"What happened? Why are you here?" I ask confused as I look around. My eyes now adjusting to the creepy lighting.

"Why am I here? Why are you here?" he emphasizes on 'you', completely disappointed but not surprised.

"Derek. They threatened Derek."

I stand up, now at the same eye level as him. He grabs my wrist and takes a look at it.

"I'm sorry for dragging you so harshly."

I shake my head as if it's nothing. I'm ok.

"You are making it worse for Derek. You need to stop." He quickly changes his tone from apologetic to threatening.

"Did you lie to me? Do you see him?" I purse my lips into a straight line.

"Gosh, Ronny, stop. This isn't good for you."

"Then what is good for me? Tell me, Dom."

"Focus on college, go out with your friends, even date some guy, but forget Derek."

It's almost as if he put a knife through my chest and then said sorry. Not almost. It is.

"Why do you want me to forget him so badly?"

Why is everyone so obsessed with me moving on?