Chapter 23

As the cars pass by, I suddenly notice Derek's car and he slows down at the same time that I stop running.

I take a deep cold breath of relief and my heartbeat picks up even more than it ever could. My eyebrows relax and I can only think about Derek. I'm safe with him.

Despite the bad light on the street, I notice the shock and worry on his face. I know I look horrible, straight out of a horror film, my dress too short and my bare legs freezing. I tried to pull the dress down but it kept going up when I ran. My hair is messy and all over my face, my mascara running down my cheeks and it's so damn cold it's becoming warm, my bones slowly freezing and my movements becoming slower.

Derek stops near the sidewalk and he opens his door but I stop him. We can't stop here, it's too close to Alexander. I know he would still follow me, after what he just confessed.

Derek looks confused but I get in the passenger side and I feel the cold air fill the car.

He takes out his jacket and gives it to me. My now icy cold heart melting a bit. I feel like I can breathe, and even just being near him makes me feel protected.

I put on the jacket but my legs are freezing and the goosebumps are giving it away.

"Do you want my pants too?" he jokes and I try to smile but it comes out as crooked and awkward. He has no idea what he's gotten himself into.

I pant as I try to gather my thoughts and speak, "you- you have no idea. I- need to tell you-"

"Did you drink?" he stops me and I furrow my eyebrows.

Nope... wait, I did drink.

"You reek of vodka, like a lot of vodka. Why would you drink?" he asks in a protective voice and I gulp down hard, I look down at my bare thighs too close to his. Our knees could almost touch.

We need to drive off, we shouldn't stay here. Alex could reach us anytime now.

Derek turns up the temperature, suddenly making the car warmer and I mentally thank him, even though my mouth can't speak straight.

"I- fuck, yes, but we need to talk, you should drive first," I stutter and he looks confused. He looks ahead at the streets I came from. I told him to meet at the campus but I'm far away from the campus.

"You ran that much?" he asks as he drives off.

I take a big breath of relief and I look at the sidewalk, expecting to see Alexander but he is nowhere to be seen. He didn't follow me, I outran him and he was probably too hurt. I bet he went to my dorm.

I'm so fucking dead.

"What happened?" he asks as he turns the street to go the way he came from. So, we aren't going to my dorm. Phew.

I swallow the tears and I force myself to speak. He needs to know now.

I cover my face with my trembling hands and I sob. I hate myself for crying, I want to be strong but how can I be strong when everything bad happens to me?!

This guy I called my friend ruined me and everyone I know... Alex will come after me, and also Felix's guys. I want to catch a break so desperately but I never do.

I suddenly feel Derek's warm touch on my hand. My eyes widen and I uncover my face as I look at his thumb caressing my cold hand. I almost forgot how good it felt.

"I know who- I know who did it," I mutter as I continue looking down. His hand still on mine.

The warm temperature in the car isn't enough, even though he turned it on pretty high. I think I caught a cold. When you are running at night almost naked when it's freezing and windy, it's hard to get warm afterward.