Chapter 14

Author's note: this chapter is the longest ever in Gone Girl, 3613 words and I promise it's worth reading it till the end!
~

Veronica's POV

I can't attend classes until Wednesday when they decide how much to suspend me for. This could also depend entirely on Shanice, she wasn't hurt ten minutes later, so I guess she was just pretending. I doubt I even hurt her that bad, we were more bruised from falling.

Before I never thought I was a troublemaker, the kind of person who picks fights randomly—in this case, it wasn't as random—regardless, I realize how much I truly changed from a few years ago. And not in a better way.

I don't even want to go back to my dorm, it's 7 PM and I know I should leave to my mom's house until they decide, and probably after too. I'm not excited to go back home—which is barely one hour away thus to me picking the nearest college—because I know she will be disappointed in me. The college didn't contact her first but again, it happened only a few hours ago.

I changed out of the clothes drenched in coffee, but I didn't take a shower and I should probably go now since it will be late when I get home to my mom.

I can just borrow the shampoo from any other girl there, I don't want to see Nicole or Irène right now. I also have a few towels in my car. I brought most of the stuff to my dorm but I have some spare stuff in the trunk of my car in case of emergency.

I start walking towards the exit of the hall and I get so absorbed in my thoughts that I don't realize someone is calling my name.

"Wait!" Alexander yells as he runs to me. Only now I'm aware of how fast I was walking.

I stop and turn around. I've been looking for him for days and he was ignoring me, now I'm not in the mood to talk about the embarrassing shit I did that night at the party.

"Wow, where have you been?" I ask sarcastically.

"Come on, Ronny, I was really busy. But I need to show you something."

"I really have to go... you know what happened today with Shanice, or maybe you were too busy." I roll my eyes.

"I know. And you need to see this, it's time to find out what kind of people you have near you." He grabs my wrist.

I furrow my eyebrows and I let him guide me to wherever he goes.

A few moments later I notice we are going back to the dorms, maybe his place?

I abruptly stop and snatch my wrist from his hold.

"First tell me what the fuck happened that night. I remember some stuff... but everything is cloudy."

"There isn't time, you need to see this."

"No, tell me now or I'm going home."

"You are going home?" He stops for a few seconds, seemingly forgetting what he wanted to show me.

"Yes, they are going to suspend me anyway. I want to tell my mom." I take a deep breath. "Now tell me the truth."

He sighs deeply. "Fine." He pauses for a few seconds. God, he is so dramatic. "You were drunk, literally almost passed out, I don't even know how you got to your car and left to Dom's apartment, I tried to stop you but you didn't want to listen to me. So you started driving drunk-"

I mentally scold myself for being so careless. It's stupidly wrong to drive drunk, especially considering how fucking unconscious I was.

"Not this. I meant what happened between us in the room."