Chapter 40

Veronica's POV

Shanice comes into our dormitory still as devastated as before. I can't believe her parents know everything... it happened so fast.

"Are you okay? Irène told me what happened," I ask trying to be as empathetic and placatory as I can be. I can't even imagine how hard it is for her.

Her parents giving up on her because she is bisexual?

Shanice sits on the bed near Nicole and she starts bawling.

"No, I'm not. I don't know what to do," she sobs as Nicole tries to give her an awkward but comforting hug.

"Give your parents time. They will understand one day," she suggests.

"Oh, no." Shanice shakes her head in dejection. "They will never understand. My parents are extremely religious and brainwashed. They will never love me again."

Nothing we can say will help her. She knows her parents better than us and she truly believes they will never accept her. It's heartbreaking.

She wipes away her tears.

"Veronica... I have to tell you something." The worry in her voice scares me. I dread what I'm about to hear.

"I lied about not talking to Derek. I talked to him every week the past three months."

Why am I not surprised? It's not the first time Shanice lies to me. It's Derek's fault, she just executes.

"So... is he okay?" I ask panicked, I know she wouldn't talk to me about this if everything was okay.

"I have no idea. He told me he had to come to Atlanta to visit Felix in prison-"

I interrupt her. "What?!"

"I should have told you sooner. Dominic too. He doesn't know anything."

"Oh my God, but why would he see Felix?" Nicole asks.

"Derek didn't tell me why. He promised he would pick up my call but he didn't. Today I called him twenty times again and nothing."

"We should check with the prison. They must know something," I suggest.

"I tried. They can't give out any information about visitors... but they said Felix is still in."

"Felix always finds someone else to do the dirty job for him," Nicole adds.

I pick up my phone and I try to send a few texts to Dominic but they aren't sending. Even the calls don't go in.

"Someone should talk to Dominic, he is also not answering his phone," I voice.

Maybe he knows about Derek, maybe he is even there with him doing whatever they know they are doing.

What a fool I am. It wouldn't be the first time they lie to me.

"I'll go. Stay with Shanice. She needs you," Nicole says.

"I did not say that." Shanice smiles.

"Come on, girls, you can do this," Nicole replies, and Shanice and I chuckle.

Nicole starts getting dressed and just as I'm about to lay on my bed, Shanice stands up.

"Can we go to my dorm? I don't like it here."

"What's wrong with this one?" I ask.

"It reminds me of Irène and Irène reminds me of my mom."