Chapter 41

Thirty minutes later I'm finally at my house. Surprisingly, no one arrested me and I didn't get myself killed.

I park my car on the driveway and I look for my old keys—which I hope I have somewhere here because I don't want to wake up my mom yet since it's 1 am.

Found them.

I look at my phone and I see twenty missed calls from Nicole and Shanice. I hope nothing happened to Derek.

Ah, she is probably calling me because she saw our muddled dorm after I told her I'd come back quickly to Shanice's room.

I can't think about them right now, I need to quickly find that damn box and leave again so I can be back on campus this morning.

I accidentally slam my car door and I walk to my porch. The lights are all turned off, even in the yard which is a bit weird. My mom always keeps them on.

The neighbors are all sleeping too.

I realize my mom's car isn't here... maybe it's in the garage but I don't have the key so I have to go there from inside the house. I suddenly regret not calling her before coming here. I hope the noise doesn't scare her too much.

I unlock the door and turn on the light in the hallway.

The house looks unusually clean and empty. I don't see my mom's shoes and coat where she usually puts it.

I feel a weird sense of dread in my stomach.

I still have to check her bedroom and if she is home wake her up. I wanted to let her sleep but this is just... strange.

I put my jacket on the chair in the dining room and I run upstairs. I don't know how to go to my mom's room without scaring her. Knocking will scare her anyway since she doesn't expect me home.

I turn the light on in the upstairs hallway and I decide to just knock and say it's me.

"Mom, I'm Veronica," I say loud enough to wake her up.

I knock a few times. Nothing. No response.

"Mom?"

I open the door slowly and I immediately notice the bed is made and tidy.

She isn't home.

My mom is almost always home... unless she is dating someone but she would still bring them over. There is nothing she loves more than her own house.

I immediately try to call her as I walk to my bedroom.

It's weird seeing everything so organized. She cleaned my room too. I throw myself on the bed while trying to call my mom again and again.

No answer.

Why is no one answering today?!

Okay. She is with someone for sure. I came here for the box, I can talk to her tomorrow and miss the business class. It will be only once.

I stand up again, slightly dizzy since I didn't eat anything other than popcorn and a horrible breakfast meal. I'm exhausted, I frankly just want to sleep.

I can't believe Cyprian ruined my day like this.

I can't remember where I put that damn box... even my mom couldn't find it. Or maybe she realized her mistake and took it back and blamed it on me for losing it.

She isn't crazy. She is a good mom. Way better than my biological parents or any other adoptive family.

I know it was in my old car and I moved it when Irène and Derek gifted me the new car... but I know it's not there. I put it somewhere else.