Chapter 39

Shanice's POV

I turn on the hot water and fill the bathtub, then I add a bit more cold water.

I light some scented candles and I take my iPad so I can watch a show.

It's me time.

I also have to call Derek because it's been almost a week since I last heard from him.

I test the water temperature with my hand and then I completely submerge myself under water. I pick up my phone from the corner.

When Veronica asked me if I heard from Derek, I just had no other choice but to lie. Not even Dominic knows anything.

Derek asked me to lie and he is my best friend before anyone else. It was his wish to keep Veronica away from him even though it wrenches him.

Derek saved my life and I'll always be grateful. I'd be dead without him.

I dial him at least once every week, even more often, just to check up on him and make sure he is okay and not too lonely.

He picks up the call quite fast this time.

"Hey, you're alive," I exclaim on the phone. I didn't call him for a week since I was so busy with Irène.

"Alive and well, mostly," he replies.

"What happened?" I ask as I put my left arm into the hot water and try to relax.

"I have to visit Felix in the prison."

This is a huge thing... which means he will have to come back to Atlanta. I'm not sure it's very safe to pay visits to Felix, that dude always finds a way to hurt people.

And I will never forget what he did to us.

"But why?" I question him.

"We have some unresolved things."

Always so mysterious.

"Veronica kept asking if you are okay," I confess.

"Just tell her that I can take care of myself."

"You want me to lie?" I joke and he laughs.

"You should see Veronica too since you'll be there anyway," I suggest.

Lately, she's been growing on me, I don't see her the same way as I used to but that doesn't mean I'll be her friend. Just that I won't be rude to her.

Someway I feel sorry for what she's been through and I don't see the point of Derek staying away from her anymore.

"No. That is not going to happen," he replies coldly. "I promised to stay away from her so she can move on. She is better off without me."

"What a bunch of fucking bullshit. You are such a fucking coward, Derek Forster," I spit annoyed.

One thing I cannot stand is nonsense and people lying to themselves to fit their narrative.

He doesn't reply for a few seconds. "I'm just doing what I think it's best."

After an uncomfortable long silence, I don't want to insist. It's just not my business. "So, you are coming for Felix? Is it safe?" I ask.

"He is in prison. The people who work for him are in prison too, so yes. I'm going to be okay."

"I'll call you to check up on you. Answer right away, Derek," I tell him assertively.