Chapter 25

Veronica's POV

I still hate myself for breaking down and almost admitting to Derek that I was raped two years ago. He thinks Alex assaulted me but I feel like I would know if I was sexually assaulted again, I'd feel it the next day... maybe.

It's easier to believe I haven't been raped again, I'd rather live in ignorance than go through that pain one more time.

Derek told me they captured him, so I immediately got ready to leave.

I don't have any other clothes, I had to put on the same dress I had before and it somehow smells of vodka and Irène's perfume.

I don't have any of my stuff here and my phone is probably in Alex's room.

Oh God, my keys too!

I don't want to leave Derek, we only spent a day together but I'm already used to it, it feels natural.

I know he won't let his guard down so there is no point in being here. I have some cash for the cab and the payphone Derek got me.

"Ugh, can I steal his jacket?" I ask myself as I pick up his jacket. It's still pretty cold outside despite being early.

I decide to leave it there and I put on my shoes. I turn off the lights and I walk out of the hotel room.

Once I get to the lobby I spot Derek at the entrance. He looks shocked to see me.

Probably because I didn't tell him I'd leave this fast.

He walks to me confused and he puts his phone in the back pocket.

"Where are you going?"

"You said you figured it out with Alex."

"Oh, god, no. We lost him," he says frustrated and I shush him because of the lady at the reception staring at us.

I pull him toward the elevator and I wait for him to speak once the doors close.

"We had to move him to get the recorded confession the right way, but when Irène and I stopped to fuel the car, he escaped from Dominic," he explains annoyed.

"You don't sound that worried."

"We'll catch him. It's not like he can go to the police and report us." He laughs.

Well, yeah, he can't. He is just as guilty as us.

"Why would you even leave?" he asks and I don't know what to say even though I know why.

We go back to the hotel room and I take out my shoes again. I'll have to sleep here again.

The worst part is that I love it.

"I don't have my clothes... underwear, phone-"

I say as I press my back against the wall. He takes out his shoes and he sits on the bed as he looks up at me.

"Underwear?" He chuckles.

"Yes, idiot. I have only the same panties I had that night. And well, this dress has an inbuilt bra," I explain embarrassed as I point to my dress.