Chapter 9

Veronica's POV

14 months ago

I stare at the police car as Derek is being taken away. I press my fingers on the concrete and I blink away the tears as I force myself to stand up.

I look down at my bruised knees and hands, a bit of crimson liquid coming out of the wounds. I didn't even realize how badly I threw myself on the ground when Derek was arrested.

"I can't- I can't believe it-" I mutter though the muffled cries.

He took the blame for me... he is going to be in prison for a long time, fuck, that amount of cocaine can't even be considered for personal use... we are doomed.

The way he looked at me, the way the love he ever felt for me was attached to a string.

When he saw the cocaine, the disappointment filled the air and it was hard to breathe, I knew.

I knew it was over.

I bring my hand to my heart, wanting to crumble it, to stop these feelings. I press my fingers hard into my chest and I can feel the nails protruding through the thin material of my top.

"It's over... it's over, it's really over and it's all my fault," I stutter confused, as I bring my hands to my hair wanting to pull away every single strand one by one.

The cold brisk air hits my skin and it gives me goosebumps as I pick up all the energy I have left in my body to walk myself to his car.

To Derek's car...

I brush away a few other tears as I struggle to open the car door and get myself into his seat.

"What did I do... what did I do... it's all my fault." I smash my hands against the steering wheel and I immediately regret it.

Everything is going to be fine, everything is going to be fine. I repeat to myself, struggling to stay positive about it.

The cocaine isn't mine, it's not his. We will deal with this, he will understand he has nothing to be disappointed about.

The feeling I have in my gut tells me otherwise, it's as if I know I'll never see Derek again.

I cannot explain how and why but I know I'm fucked, I know he is fucked for life.

I lay my head on the steering wheel and I cry out my soul, I let each tear flow freely on my face until I get dehydrated.

Once I'm done crying, I look at the rearview mirror. I look horrible. Unrecognizable, as if I lost everything.

I did lose almost everything prior to loving Derek, but now I'm sure I have nothing to live for.

"This is proof I don't deserve anything good, this is proof I'm not good enough and that I fuck up everyone."

This is proof... that I shouldn't even try.

I look around and I notice the car keys aren't here, Derek must have them with him.

I pick up my phone full of dirt from when it fell on the ground and I wipe it off on my jeans.

I dial Dominic and when he doesn't pick up the first time, I call him again.