Volt - Chapter 57

I DO NOT own Pokemon.

Apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling errors.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why... why would they do that?" I asked Frost, still staring at the marble. "Th-they hated me... why would they make this for me?"

"I... I don't know. There's not a lot I can tell you. Maybe try talking to some of them, see how they react. See if they really do care about you." She suggested, but I shook my head. I quickly walked away, suddenly feeling overcome by anxiousness. I couldn't let them know who I was, because if they didn't like me, I'd be an outsider again, and I'd be hated, and I would have to go through all the pain all over again-

"Volt, stop." Frost's voice shattered my downwards spiral of thought, snapping me back to reality for better or worse. "If they don't like you, they don't like you, but from that, I'd say they do like you. Just give it a chance, and if it doesn't work out, you'll just have to take it. I know this isn't easy for you, but don't just run from it."

I tried my best to compose myself to do it, but I just couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to do that again. "Look, maybe another time, but not right now. I just can't do that right now. I'm sorry." She gave a long sigh but nodded in response. Once we were away from that monument, though, I found myself able to think less about it, which in turn made me feel much better, even though I knew I shouldn't have been ignoring it.

I tried to forget the fear in exploring with her, though, and looking at all the things sold within the walls of the town proved to be a good distraction, but it seemed to work less for Frost. I could tell she was worried the whole time, but I just couldn't find the courage to do what she wanted. While we rounded a corner to look at more market stands, though, the thing I feared so much came to me instead. "Um... V-Volt?" Some unfamiliar voice called to me, and I looked around in sudden shock. Who had that been?

A Wartortle was slowly pushing its way towards me through the crowd, an awestruck look on its face. "I-is that really you? V-Volt?" She asked, finally reaching me. "I-I can't believe this... I never thought I'd get this chance..."

I could only respond with an awkward glace, still very confused. Finally, I worked up the courage to talk back. "Um... what exactly are you talking about?"

Their eyes slowly met with mine, and I instantly realized who it was. "I... I wanted to apologize for what I said all those years ago... You remember, right?"

"Aaah, scary monster!"

The words echoed in my mind. This was her. This was the girl who had sent me down my downwards spiral, and here she was apologizing for it years later. I didn't even know how to react, but Frost lightly bumped me, snapping me out of my awe. "Say something!" She whispered in my head, surprising me as well, though I was slowly getting more used to it.

"Wow, thanks. I just really don't know what to say... I didn't expect this at all."

"Yeah, that's not surprising, but I've never been happy with myself for saying that. I just had to say it, because even though I was just a kid, I knew it probably hurt a lot. I just hope you can forgive me now." She managed, looking up at me. I could tell she was being genuine because sadness was visible in her eyes, and I knew there was no way I could hold it against her. She was just a kid when she had done it, after all.

"Yeah, of course, I forgive you." I returned, making her smile slightly. I looked towards Frost, who was beaming at me. I suddenly felt really good about myself, knowing I hadn't always been as bad as I thought I was. I suddenly got an idea, and I turned back to the Wartortle. "By the way, that house over here," I said, pointing to my old home. "Do you ever see anyone go in or out of there?"