Frost - Chapter 40

I DO NOT own Pokemon.

Apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling errors.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't sleep a wink the night before, since I was constantly worrying about how the next day with Volt would go. My paws were constantly sweating, and I couldn't think about anything but him. I wanted to say something back to him using telepathy, but it just didn't seem like the right thing to do. I was so scared to face him again... It felt so strange that the boy I loved was now someone that I feared seeing.

I got up from bed, though I still felt terrible with no sleep. I walked to the living room, where I sat down on the couch, staring lifelessly at the walls. "Hey, Frost, you okay?" Sky asking, yawning as she sat next to me. She had stayed the night here, since it had been pretty late by the time we finished talking.

I groaned, shaking my head. "I didn't sleep at all..."

"Oh, I'm sorry... You're really that scared, aren't you?" She asked, looking at me with concerned eyes.

"Yeah, I am..." I whimpered, leaning against her soft mane.

"Frost, I have to work today... I can't stay here long, but if it helps you get at least a bit of sleep, I'll stay here with you until my shift starts."

"Thank you..." I could finally relax a bit more, knowing that one of my best friends was near. I eventually drifted asleep, opening my eyes to see beautiful green pastures and waterfalls.

Oh no, it's this again... I thought, looking around. Who's here now..? I was tackled by someone, and though I at first struggled to escape, I soon realized who it was, but that didn't really help my mood.

"Frost, I'm so glad you're safe!" Volt cried, hugging me. I broke free, jumping back to look him in the eyes. He stared back at me with a confused look, ears twitching. I couldn't will myself to speak, or even move. I just didn't know if he was my friend, my crush, my lover, my enemy, it just all swirled together into one giant mess that I couldn't process anymore. All I knew was that he had betrayed me, but I didn't know if it was his choice, or a choice Psi made for him. For all I knew, he was still under her influence right now. "Please say something, Frost... I just want to know if you're okay..."

I blankly stared at him, until I could finally choke out the words. "V-Volt, I'm not..."

"Frost, what happened then?! Who's hurting you?" He asked, running to hug me. I pushed him away, though, fear suddenly replaced by anger.

"You are, Volt! You're hurting me! I-I... I loved you, okay?! Y-you broke my heart! Do you know how that felt, to see you lying with my best friend?!" I nearly screamed, tears rushing down my face like a river. I hated that things had to be this way, but I had to take my anger out on him, because he had put me through all of this.

He now sullenly stared at me, seeming to finally understand. "F-Frost, I don't want that to rip us apart... we're meant to be best friends, and we still have a job to do together. You can't quit out on us now, Frost..."

"Volt, who's the 'us'? Our team, or your mission? I wouldn't be anyone else's if I hadn't have been so stubborn before! If I didn't have to be a part of it before, why do I have to be now, Volt? All you want is my help on that, and once it's over you'll go back to kissing Psi, won't you?"

"N-no, that's not true! I want our group to stick together! We've made it through so much together, and you're one of us now. W-we need you, Frost!"

"If you want me around so badly, then why did you stab me in the back? I almost certain you knew I liked you before this, and nothing can change my mind about that. If you really cared, you wouldn't have made me suffer so much! She's tricking you, and you're falling for it so badly that it's hurting everyone else!" I turned around and stomped off, not able to even look at him anymore. My ex-best friend was left to sit there and regret his choices, just I had to do before. I was tired of my emotions being trampled, and I figured it was time I stood up for myself. A nagging feeling seemed to gnaw at my heart, though, begging the question of whether he really was the one I should've been mad at here. I had already spoke my mind, though, and there was no taking that back, so I knew my decision was final.