Volt - Chapter 30

I opened my eyes to a world I had never seen, but it was beautiful. There were hills, flowers, waterfalls, clear skies, and no towns within sight. I could only stare, until I turned around. A huge waterfall was behind me, falling from a cliff high above, and ending in a large body of water surrounded by cliffs on each side. I sat and watched the water fly downwards, wondering how in the world I had gotten here. I suddenly heard erratic running from behind me, something tackled me seconds later. I turned to unsheathe my claws for a fight, but realized who had tackled me.

"Frost!" I cried, pulling her into a tight hug. "I-I've missed y-you so much! I-I can't believe it's r-really you!" I couldn't stop myself as I felt tears of joy run down my face; I had waited for this for so long, and I couldn't stand being alone any longer.

"Volt, I missed you..." She murmured, hugging me back. "I have so much to tell you, but... I wouldn't mind staying like this for a while."

"Neither would I." I agreed, feeling her lean her head against mine. We stayed like this for a while, both of us simply enjoying each other's presence. Her soft heartbeat was far more soothing that the silence I had endured for weeks, and feeling calm after what I had gone through was one of the best feelings ever.

We eventually sat down together, watching the wind make foliage in the fields sway. She explained to me what exactly was going on, and though it made little sense to me at first, I began to understand after a while.  "So... that means whenever you wake up, I'll have to go back..."

"Volt, until I can get you out of there, every minute I'm not working to save you I'll be here. I'm never leaving you like you were years ago. I'll always be by your side, I promise."

"Frost... you don't have to do that... I know I'm hard to be around, so please don't force that on yourself."

"Volt, no! Just stop, okay? I... I..."

I gave her a questioning look, since she seemed to be really nervous. "You what?"

"I... I care about you. Please, Volt. I really want to help you, because we're best friends. We take care of each other, right?"

"...Yeah, we do. Thank you, Frost." Off instinct, I wrapped a paw around her back, pulling her closer. I then realized what I had done, and was about to pull away, but she stopped me. I felt her rest her head against my neck, making me blush slighty. It was kind of embarrassing, but I loved it. I had been left alone for so long, and it had given me plenty of time to think, and I had spent a lot of it thinking about her.

I had known I had a crush on her, but I realized it was much more than that. Stuck like that, I found it hard to think of anything but her. I could try to push her away all I wanted, but the facts were I was only hurting myself more. I loved her, and I needed her, but I could never admit it, especially not if I had to do it Cinder's way. It had to come from me, but I just didn't have the confidence.

"So, you know we could see our dads, right? Xerneas said we can see others who've died in these dreams." Frost explained, though I wasn't so sure.

"I don't know, I... I don't know if I could ever face him again. He did so much for me, and I couldn't save him..."

"Volt, you tried. You were four, you weren't supposed to be some big warrior, you're supposed to be a kid! What you did is nothing short of a miracle, and I'm sure he would be proud!"

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes, Volt! I wasn't even there, and I'm proud of you!"

"Y-you are?" She giggled, turning to me. Her violet eyes reflected beautifully in the light, making her look even prettier.