Volt - Chapter 46

I DO NOT own Pokemon.

Apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling errors.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting alone on Frost's couch, I didn't really know what I could do. I was bored out of my mind without her, and I ended up just pawing at my ears for what felt like hours on end. I eventually saw Frost's mother walking through the house, eventually noticing me.

"Did those two leave you behind?" She questioned, getting a nod from me in response. "What am I going to do with them..?" We both chuckled at her comment, making me sit up to face her.

"Y'know, I'm really sorry about just kinda appearing and then staying here... I don't mean to be a bother or anything."

She shook her head and sat next to me, smiling. "As long as my little girl is happy, I'm fine with you staying here. By the way, I'm, uh... I still feel bad about yesterday. I didn't know, and I'm sorry I brought that up. It's hard to talk about, I know. Just... I know it's not my place, and it never will be, but if you ever need an adult to talk to, I'd be glad to listen."

She sat down next to me, smiling. I stared at her with a gaping mouth, amazed she would even offer that. "W-wow, okay. T-thank you, that means a ton."

"It's just the right thing to do, Volt. I guess I feel like I should take responsibility for you, since there's no one else to. With how much my daughter loves you, it'd be a shame if something happened to you because no one was there to take care of you." She gave me a reassuring look, smiling.

Not even able to find the words to thank her, all I could do was stutter. "I-I... Th-tha-thank y-yo-you..." She smiled and pulled me into a hug, something I hadn't gotten from an adult in so, so long.

"It's thanks for how happy you've made my sweet little girl, Volt. You seem like a really nice boy, and I just want to let you know that I care. I can't imagine what it was like to grow up like that..."

"Terrible..." I whined, tears beginning to form on my eyes. "It was so terrible..."

"I know it was, sweetie... You're all safe now, though. Everything is all right." She murmured, holding me tighter. "Frost and me are here for you, don't worry."

I could only cry while we hugged, that feeling of being wanted I had longed for finally being satisfied. I don't know how long we sat like that, but I loved every second of it. It might've seemed a bit weird, but I wouldn't have given this moment up for anything. Once I eventually calmed down, I backed away from her.

"I-I shouldn't h-have done that, sorry..."

She shook her head, smiling at me. "It's okay, dear. I know you've been through a lot, and I'm just glad I can help you get past it."

"Th-thanks..." I whimpered, stepping back. "I'm gonna go outside for a bit, just to clear my thoughts."

"Go right ahead, dear." I stepped out the door, walking onto the sandy beaches. They were like therapy for me, always seeming to calm me down when I needed it the most. I knew I might not have these forever, though. That's why I needed Frost. I sat down on the sand, watching the waves roll in, then slowly wash back out. It was so calming here, and I was just glad it could stay that way.

I fond myself getting lonely as time passed on, though, and began to long for Frost's company. Sitting on the beach was great, but I had come to enjoy her presence even in moments like this. Once the sun began to set I went inside and sat on the floor of her room, desperately wishing she would return. It was past dark when they finally did, and I could hear Frost's mother scolding the two from within her room. Once they finally came to see me, though, I was overjoyed to have someone to talk to.

"So, what'd you do today, Jolty?" Frost asked, nuzzling my cheek.

Sighing, I shook my head. "Not that much..."

"Oh, I guess we really should've taken you with us. We had the best time ever, sorry about that!" She chirped, sitting beside me. "Well, at least we can be together now. So, what do you guys wanna do?" Before I could respond, we heard banging coming from outside.

"Oh no..." Both Frost and me muttered, sure whatever was going on was much like what had happened the night before. She and Sky ran outside, while I stumbled out behind them, much slower. Once we did, though, we found something much less sinister than we had expected. From a far away town, fireworks were being launched into the air, exploding into bright and colorful lights.

"Wow, that's amazing... I wonder why they're doing that..." Sky questioned, gazing at them.

"Who cares? At least we have a show tonight!" Frost chirped, grinning brightly.

"Yeah, I agree. Let's just sit back and enjoy this, okay? I think we've all earned a nice break." I announced, everyone else seeming to agree. We all then sat down on the coast, enjoying the nice break. Frost leaned her head against me, and I leaned mine back on hers. Sky didn't seem to notice, instead continuing to watch the explosives fly high into the air.

This really was paradise for me, because it really gave me a taste of... family. Sure, neither of them were my family, but this seemed like what that should feel like. Being together, and being happy just because you are. It felt weird to have that feeling, but it was one I just couldn't seem to get over. This truly was where I was meant to be, and nothing could change my mind. Right here, in this moment, I wanted to be with Frost forever.

We watched as the rockets continued to fly from the horizon, until the show eventually seemed to stop. Though we were all sad about that, I was fairly tired, so I figured it was for the best. While Sky went to her room, I went with Frost to hers. "So, since we didn't spend any time together today, let's spend some now. So, did you really do nothing all day?"

Nervously chuckling, I decided I should tell her about what had happened. "Well, I talked with your mom earlier today."

Suddenly looking extremely embarrassed, she gave me a nervous look as well. "Oh no... what did she tell you..?"

Laughing, I shook my head. "Nothing that would embarrass you, luckily. I hope, all least!"

She seemed much more calm after I said that, giving a nod of approval. "Okay then, what did you talk about?"

"Well, she was telling me that I would always have a family in you guys. I told her thank you, and we hugged. That's about it."

Though she didn't seem fully convinced that only that had happened, she didn't ask any more questions. "Of course you do, Volt." She wrapped her paw around me, pulling me into a tight hug. "I really can't imagine all the pain you've gone through... The least I could do is help you out to get you past it. I'd love to be your family, Volt. Whatever it takes to make you feel better."

"Thank you..." I whimpered, tears beginning to fall for the second time that day. I really didn't know how else to react to all this special treatment, especially since I hadn't gotten it in so many years.

"Shh, you can let it all out. You can tell me anything, Volt. I'm always here for you." She murmured, hugging me tighter. I was once again at a loss for how I deserved all of this, but I wasn't going to turn it down. I cried until I could compose myself again, though it really did feel good to finally let it all out. I had refused to show any emotion when it came to the death of my family for so long that it almost felt unnatural to give into it, but I felt safe doing so around her. Once I was done, I stepped back and smiled, not knowing what else to do. She returned the smile, and I couldn't help but hug her again. I just couldn't believe how my life had turned around so quickly after I met her, but I was glad it had.

"Let's get some sleep, okay?" She suggested, still smiling.

"Yeah, that sounds good. I'll see you in the morning."

"Okay, see ya!" She chirped, making me smile one last time before I stepped out of the room and closed the door. Lying down on the couch and covering myself with a blanket, I just couldn't seem to shake that feeling I now had. Sighing in contentment, I closed my eyes and began to drift asleep. I didn't know how things would turn out, or if this whole family thing would really even last, but I was willing to do whatever it took to make sure it would last as long as I could make it.