Volt - Chapter 48

I DO NOT own Pokemon.

Apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling errors.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I dashed out of the house with Frost and Cinder in tow, all of us leaving behind a confused Sky. I figured she'd be exploring for a while, so we had plenty of time. I led them to Xerneas' cave, where we found her still recovering from the curse. She gasped in surprise at the sight of us, especially Frost. A smile slowly crept onto both of their faces, though.

"I knew you'd come back." Xerneas chuckled, still eyeing Frost. Frost grinned back, slowly nodding. "Volt, have you regained any memories?"

Pawing at the ground, I shook my head. It felt terrible to know I was missing out of so much, all because of that damn clone. I just wanted to escape the mental prison I was now trapped in, as my own memory was held ransom against my will. I was no longer free, yet freedom was all that I truly longed for.

"What do we need to do?" A newly determined Cinder asked Xerneas, "I'll do whatever it takes to get my old friend back."

"His memories are being held by the clone that consumed his very body. When the two split, it seems that his memory was torn in two between them. Since the clone no longer has control of you, it can no longer access the dream realm, so you'll have to face it here in reality if you ever want your memories back. And, if you are to face it, the only way you'll escape alive is by that monster's demise." We all took a moment to take everything in, and within seconds we all silently agreed on what must be done.

"How do we find that thing?" Frost asked, turning to me. "We have to do this."

"I believe only Volt can figure that out, because it is his shadow we are dealing with. If Volt cannot figure out how to find that beast, it is likely no one else can. He is part of it, and it is part of him." Xerneas explained, turning to me.

I thought hard, but not much came to mind. Frost and Cinder both turned to me, but I had nothing to offer. They could both tell this, so they turned back to Xerneas. "Okay, well... If we can't work on that right now, what can we do?"

Xerneas turned and walked away, chuckling. "Don't train today. Volt needs time to think, so you all need to give him space. Can you do that?"

We all nodded, slowly turning away. We trotted back to the house, where we all split, and I returned to the silence of my room. The navy blue walls weren't much company, though, and I found myself wanting company, despite what Xerneas had requested we do. Almost as if on cue, Frost opened the door to my room, jumping up to side beside me on my bed.

"How's that thinking going?" She asked, while I could already feel a slight drop in temperature in the room.

I shook my head, starting to feel useless. My job was seriously to sit here and think, of all things. I was already bad at, but was even worse at under pressure. Sighing, I fully laid down on the bed. "This sucks..." I felt her paw touch my shoulder, and a sudden wave of calmness came over me.

"Jolty, you can do it... I believe in you." She murmured, softly smiling. In that moment I truly felt better, but it didn't last for long.

I got up and walked over to the window, sighing as I looked out. "I... I feel like you and Cinder are the only ones who do, though. Not even I believe in myself at this point. I don't even know why I'm fighting against this that well, and all my memory of you other than the past few days is completely gone. I barely know you, or even myself anymore. How can I have hope..?"

"...That's something I can't help you with. You have to find something to believe in, to find happiness in. If you can't do that, you'll never be happy."