Frost - Chapter 72

I DO NOT own Pokemon.

Apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling errors.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Why does it never work?! All I do is try and try again, and my powers never grow any stronger! Xerneas taught me all this great magic stuff, but all I can ever do is sit on the sidelines and help!

My thoughts were raging. No matter what I tried, my mind was far too clouded. About what Cinder was doing, why I hadn't heard from Volt in days, and about the general concept that I'd soon be clashing with a literal god. Not to mention the fact all I could even do at the moment was a slight bit of healing magic at best. As much as I loved Volt, watching him succeed while I could only fail was far more frustrating than I could've initially imagined.

I slammed my paws on my bed, nearly shaking from anger. It was getting to me more than I would've liked to admit. For days, I'd kept getting this stupid vision of going to the roof and seeing the moon. But what was that even supposed to mean?! I didn't even know if there was a way to get on the roof, much less if it would even do me any good. For now, I'd have to only wonder, because there was little it seemed I could do.

A knock came at my door, snapping me out of my rage so that I could at least be presentable for whoever came in. Maybe I shouldn't have cared, but I'd been raised to always watch my mood, though Hydro, Volt, and Ribbon had all broken me around themselves in very different ways.

Cinder stepped in the door, making me happy I'd gotten myself under control. He seemed a little awkward about being in my room, since the only boy who usually entered it was Volt. "So, uh... Ribbon said we needed to talk, right? I'd assume it's about, y'know-"

"Yeah, don't remind me. That's what it's about." I stopped him, not wanting to hear the whole description about how horrible and difficult it was going to be yet again.

He shifted on his feet a bit, trying to find a way to make himself a bit more comfortable. "So yeah, we both need to get better, huh? Well, in different ways, though, I'd assume."

I motioned that he had permission to sit next to me on my bed, which he hesitantly accepted. "Yeah, there's a lot of work to be done... by the way, would you happen to know if there's a way up to the roof?"

He gave me a curious stare. "I don't really see how that's relevant, but uh, yeah I guess? I won't question if it's something for your training or if you're meeting Volt up there at night or whatever."

I nervously chuckled, shaking my head. "Honestly, I wish. I'm a little worried about him, but he'll be fine. Yeah, it's just a thing for training I guess." I left out the part that a bit of me was dying to just escape the responsibility and give into just how much I missed him, but I knew I shouldn't say that much.

Cinder had a slight smile but quickly refocused on the main task. "Alright, so what's the plan? It's just us two honing our skills while he's off with the snake I suppose, but I'm not entirely sure how we could help each other at the moment."

I agreed, and it was mostly because of my inability to do much other than heal. What was the point of practicing with a sandbag, after all? "I'll work on improving myself. Once I do that, I have a plan of how we can both improve. I just need a little time if that's alright with you."

He nodded and stood up. "Guess I can leave you to that then? I can't say that I'd know what to do otherwise."

"Mhm, that works." I agreed, standing up as well. "Just show me how to get up and I'll be good to go." He nodded, then showed me up the stairs to a point where he stepped out onto a deck, then revealed a ladder to the side of the door leading to the roof. "Wow, thanks. I never would've found this alone!" I chirped, smiling. He gave a quick smile and nodded then walked back inside, leaving me to struggle with climbing a ladder with paws for longer than I should've.