Chapter 28

Nandini Arora's POV

As soon as we reached the entrance of the airport, we were bombarded with lots of flashes and shout. It felt like we were attacked by some people who were using flashes as their weapons.

"Manik sir, is the wedding is near?"

"Are you guys back together?"

"Where were you mam?

"Do you not want to get married to him?"

"When is the wedding?"

"Did he cheat on you?"

"Is she pregnant?"

I was in a daze because of their nonstop questions. I had my experience with media people before. They seemed to stop caring after we lost everything just like others. I didn't know missing for three years would make them that hungry for my whereabouts.

I did not entertain myself thinking that they came because of me. No, they came because of Manik Mehrotra's fiance. I felt guards securing us from those media people and we entered inside of the car.

After we came to a safe distance, I glared at Manik. "Why did you not tell others that I am not your fiance anymore?"

"You know, why." His simple answer made me more angry.

"They would not be there asking stupid questions if you fixed everything here."

"I did not know that I needed to fix anything behind you. I never got that kind of instruction. It's your fault for not informing me." He shrugged.

I just stepped on my motherland and he was back being a jerk. It's good though. He did not suit the image of a good person.

"I thought you will fix everything as it will question your family's reputation. But I thought wrong." I sat back.

"Leaving things as it was, indeed a good decision. Even if I got married to someone else, people would have talk."

He was right. My impulsive self did not think about it. Looked like, I was back in where I left from. I needed to tell him clearly about what I want.

" Listen, just because I am back, don't even think for a second that I will marry you. No, that's not going to happen, never."

"I told you there that you are coming here only for your father. I do not remember saying anything about marriage. We will see about that later."

"No, I remember you saying something about our marriage. I think you canceled that." I was sure that he said something like that.

"No, Nandini. There is no way I said something like that. You are probably imagining things to get rid of me."

I glanced at him with uncertainty. My mini size brain had to forget something so crucial. I tried to remember when he said something like that but nothing.

The car stopped in front of a big gate and someone opened that gate. I didn't take much time to recognize where we were. We came to my house. Not the house I left but the one I spent my whole childhood, the one father lost.

That meant that my parents had shifted here but how? Moreover, I low-key expected him to take me to his house and pounce on me with his mother to get married tomorrow. Even though the house was our old magnificent one, it did not look magnificent. The garden, in which thousands of different flowers used to breed was left barren. Nothing was there except for some grass.

I could not see much as it was night time and there was not enough light like before, only one in front of the entrance. We got out of the car and Manik unlocked the front door with a key. There was always someone who used to open the door. All these things started to look sketchy and suddenly I did not feel really comfortable about coming back.

We entered inside with our bag and Manik locked the door behind me. Everything was so dark and I tried to search for the switch board. I never liked that kind of darkness.

Manik, turned on his flashlight from his phone behind me. "You remember your room right? Go there and rest for the night. We will talk tomorrow. Everyone is sleeping now."

Manik left towards the guest room and I immediately turned on my own flashlight. Yeah, I knew that house as the back of my hand but returning here after so many years like this was scary. I turned on the lights as soon as I went inside of my room. Previous owners clearly redecorated the room but someone tried hard to make it look like my old room.

"That must be mom." I mumbled and checked the room out. After I was satisfied, I got ready for the bed and soon fall asleep.

Morning came and I was nervous about meeting my parents. I was ready to get out of my room but my nerves were like, 'sit down, we are going nowhere'.

I was sitting on the bed, thinking how to face them. Suddenly Manik entered in my room without any warning. He glared at me and I managed not to cower because of that. He took a hold of one of my wrists and dragged me out of my room. It was good because I would have stayed in my room forever.

We stopped in front of my parents room. She slowly pushed the door open and I saw my father, the thinnest version of him was laying on the bed. He was really sick and looked fragile. I covered my mouth to stop myself from crying out loud. I never saw him like that, never wanted him to see like that.

His eyes had sunken, his cheekbones looked prominent and entire face looked hollow. He looked like someone in his 90's but he was only 55. I was sobbing silently when I felt arms around me, taking me away from that room.

I leaned on him without any thinking. He brought me to the living room and I continued to cry. He was holding me for a while but soon he freed himself. That time I realized what I was doing, using him as a support. I tried to calm myself down but it was too hard. Soon, I felt another set of familiar arms around me.

I froze when I realized who it was. She was sobbing as well, mumbling something. 'My baby is back, my baby is back. I am so sorry, baby.' I hugged her back because that time I really felt like my mother was back to me as well.

Hayat Aslan's POV

It was a chaos like some circus. Media people asking the most ridiculous questions to getting inside of his house, everything was a chaos. I established a fact in front of Murat that I actually did not trust him.

I threw a tantrum when he brought me to his house. I thought he would lock me up there. But he told me that media followed us and if I went to my brother's house then they would camp outside the house. It won't be good for my nephew. If I went to a hotel then it would be on the frontpage news for next day.

His grandma was asleep when we entered inside of the house. He showed me a guest room. I finally rested after a long tense journey.

In the morning, I sneaked out of that house because I was sure that grandma would not leave me alone and she would start talking about wedding and all. I knew where he was admitted. The hospital, I used to work before.

The receptionist recognized me and asked me questions about how I was doing and all. I talked to her a little bit and asked for my nephew, who has a rare heart disease.

"I know your nephew is here and he is currently at the special ward for children."

"He was really sick, Murat didn't lie but how could I face him. I literally abandoned him because of his parents. I am sure he did not know me as well. He must be two years and few months old. Too small to hold any grudge. Yes! Your aunt is here, my baby. She will fix you like a brand new car... No, brand new body."

I reached there and couldn't find my brother or his wife. There were lots of kids in that special ward and I was unfortunate enough to not know which one was my nephew.

"I have missed so much."

So, I decided to do it in a classic way. I loudly called for him by his name. He would clearly respond to that.

"Zain!"

All the kids looked at my way angrily as if I just ruined the sand castle they made, taking hours. No one had any familiarity in their eyes. Maybe he wasn't there.

🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚🐚

Chapter 29 is available on Inkitt.