Chapter 14

Hayat Aslan's POV

Murat and I were on the makeshift stage, decorated with colorful flowers and candles. The guests were around us, waiting for us to exchange rings. I was so angry that I was having a hard time to even fake smile.

Azize Yalmaz looked really happy. She probably did not have any ill intentions but her grandson was not the case. Thankfully she thought that I was too nervous to smile and she said that it happens.

Amidst all the chaos and cheering, we exchanged our rings. I heard many stories about that moment. Most of them said that it was a totally different kind of feeling. The ring showed that we belonged to someone and blah blah blah. I only felt irritation because of the big diamond glimmering under lights.

Murat was smiling at everyone like he was the happiest person. In a way, he was the happiest one. His acting, hard work all paid off. I managed to throw a smile to the crowd that looked forced and horrendous. Kids would cry after seeing that smile.

The guests came one by one to congratulate us. Murat had his arm around me. I felt like something was burning on me. I wanted to push him away but he was a stubborn piece.

"Ouch!!" I moaned in pain very loudly. I was successful to grab everyone's attention. I start to scratch my ring finger. It was already red and puffy.

Murat hold that finger and saw what happened to it. I was literally crying because of the pain. Everyone was clearly concerned. Grandma came and took off the ring from my finger and shouted at someone to bring cold water.

"It's okay dear. Sometimes some ornaments do not fit with our skin. We should have checked it with you before. Don't worry, the cold water would help you to reduce the itching and pain." A bowl of ice water was kept on the table near the stage. Grandma took me there so that I could dip my hand in that.

Everyone was around me worrying and Murat almost called a doctor on me. "It's fine now. It will be back to it's natural shape by tomorrow."

I was really happy that I would not have to bear the burden of that ring. My spray worked. It wasn't paining or anything. I was just trying to get rid of the ring. I sprayed it right before he slide the ring. I again assured them that I was fine and they should go on with the party.

When everyone was gone to mind their own business, Murat sat beside me. "You should have come for the fitting but you just sent one of your cheap rings for the measure. This wouldn't have happened if you just spared few minutes for your engagement arrangements."

He was blaming me for it, such typical male behavior. "Sorry for being too busy always."

"You know, you don't have to work so hard. You can totally leave that job of yours and just relax. You doctors always overwork but do not get much in return. You don't need to do anything as all your needs will be fulfilled."

"Murat Yilmaz, do you think, I spent all the sleepless nights, study sessions with migraines, sacrificed all my hobby and time pass just to give up my profession? My blood, sweat and tears do not matter? Do you think I am going to give it up just because you said so? We are only engaged. Don't need to fly that high."

"As your would be husband, I think I have some kind of authority." Murat narrowed his eyes.

"You don't actually. Because imagine your grandmother's probably last wish, that involves me, never fulfills. Poor thing will be so heartbroken. I don't care about her broken heart but you do." I smirked.