001

V A D A

Beep. Beep. Beep. I groan in annoyance of my alarm clock. I quickly shut it off before cuddling into my pillow again. 

Not even 5 minutes later, my roommate and best friend Faith walks into my room, jumping on top of me. 

"Wake up Vay! We've got work!" She shouts.

She gets off me and I roll onto my back, groaning once again. 

"Come on Vada, Jenny is in today!" Faith tells me.

"Ok, ok, I'm getting up!" I laugh out.

She chuckles and I get out of my bed. As soon as Faith sees me up, she leaves. 

I quickly hop in the shower and do all the essentials. Wash my hair, shave, wash my body. I hop out of the shower and change into a pair of jeans and a crop top that barely shows any of my skin. I also put a bandana in my hair after tying it back since I don't have time to straighten it. 

I check the time, 8:15

I check the time, 8:15. Shit, we gotta go. I grab my back pack cause I hate bringing purses to work and run into the kitchen of our little apartment. 

There, I see Faith on her phone eating a protein bar.

"Ok! Let's go!" I yell.

She throws me a protein bar for breakfast and then grabs her lanyard that holds the house key. We lock the door and start making our way out of the apartment complex.

We step onto the side walk and take in the fresh air of L.A. We live just outside of Hollywood. 

As we start walking to the diner, I ask "Did you say Jenny was coming in today?" 

Faith nods her head excitedly as she takes a bite into her protein bar. 

"Joe told me that she's supposed to be in today and we know Jenny. She never skips a scheduled shift!" She tells me.

We both laugh as we continue our walk down the street. 

You might be wondering who Jenny is. Well, Jenny is like me and Faith's non-biological mom. She is the owner of 'Jenny's Diner' which is where we work. We have been working here for probably about 4 years. 

Me and Faith can both agree that everyone at Jenny's Diner is like family to us. Joe, the cook. Jenny, the owner. Stacy, one of the waitresses. Teddy, the other cook. And Tracy, one of the other waitresses. 

Jenny pays us enough to cover rent, bills, food and other things we need. We don't have all the money in the world but we have enough to take care of our selves.

 After about a 10 minute walk, we arrive at the diner. Me and Faith enter through the back door which also leads us into the kitchen. As soon as me and Faith walk through the door, we put down our things on the table.