048

V A D A

5 years. 5 years later and so much has changed. 

I don't live with Faith anymore but instead live in my own apartment since Faith wanted to move in with her boyfriend Maxton. I didn't mind it though, it was time for a change in my life. 

I'm still friends with Faith, Mila and Eva cause, how could we not be? 

Mila is in her first year of teaching since she got her teaching degree and Eva owns her own hair salon in the city, she's really good at it too. 

Faith and I don't work at the diner anymore but all of us still go there all the time. 

Faith now works as the receptionist at Eva's hair salon and she really enjoys it. 

I, have achieved my dream and now own my own photography studio. I do a lot of photo shoots with family's, brands, models, influencers, a couple celebrities and a bunch of other things. I'm really open for anything. 

It's safe to say I love my job. 

After everything went down with you know who, I didn't do anything for literally 2 weeks until Faith knocked some sense into me. 

It took me sometime to get out of the eyes of the public but barely anyone knows me anymore unless it's for my photography. I haven't talked to him or any of the boys since I left the tour. 

But I do still talk to Kendall, a lot actually. Surprise, surprise but I really liked our friendship. 

I really liked my friendship with the boys but they're his best friends so it didn't seem right to try to still talk to them when he obviously didn't want to talk to me. The last I heard of their band is that they are taking a break or something.

I am currently driving to the diner to meet up with my friends for lunch. I'm not wearing anything fancy, just a pair of jeans and a long sleeve crop top. 

I can only stay for like an hour though because I have a client who's coming in for head shots at 1:45

I can only stay for like an hour though because I have a client who's coming in for head shots at 1:45. I still have to set up which I probably should have done before but... I didn't. 

I parked my car in the parking lot before hoping out and locking it. I finally got a car when I moved. It's nothing fancy, it's a Ford Explorer but it fits all my equipment plus my friends so it's perfect for me. 

The second I walk in the diner, I see my three friends sitting in the booth we always sit at. I walk up to the counter to say a quick hello to everyone in the kitchen. 

"Hey Joe, hey Teddy!" I shout back, waiting for a response. 

"Hi Vada!" I hear Teddys voice echo through the kitchen. 

"Good afternoon Vada!" I hear Joe next. 

I let out a little chuckle and turn around before seeing Jenny behind me. I jump but cover it up with a laugh. 

"Damn Jenny, you scared me!" I say, pulling her into a hug. 

"How's my favourite Vada doing?" She asks, making me laugh. 

"I'm good, great actually. You?" I ask her. 

"Good." She answers. After catching up and making small talk with Jenny for a little bit, I made my way to the table all my friends are sitting at. 

"Hey guys." I say as I sit down beside Eva. 

"Hey." Mila says shoving a fry into her mouth. Something never change I guess. 

"Hey Vay." Eva says, slightly nudging my shoulder with hers. 

"Hey." Faith laughs out. "Do you guys want to come to Max's and I's place for dinner? We're both bored tonight."

"I'll be there." I tell her, taking some of Mila's fries from across the table.

"Same. Do you mind if I bring Asher?" Mila asks. Asher is her boyfriend if you're too dumb to figure that out. 

"Of course. Ev, you should bring Nicholas!" Faith exclaims making me laugh. 

"Are you kidding me? We went on one date and I don't need you guys scaring him off!" Eva defends, making all of us laugh. 

"Come on, we're not that bad." I say, making Eva raise her eyebrows at my words. 

"What about you Vay?" Faith asks me, making both Mila and Eva now look at me. 

"What about me?" I ask back. 

"Any friends that are boys that you might like?" Mila asks me, raising her eyebrows as she speaks. 

"No guys. We talk about this like everyday. I haven't met anyone that I like." I tell them shrugging. 

"Come on Vay. Ever since... him, you haven't even talked to another male." Faith tells me. 

"That's not true!" I defend. "I just talked to Teddy and Joe! And remember that one time we all went to that bar in the city? Yeah, I talked to a bunch of guys and every single one of them stared at my chest the whole time or made sexual remarks when I was trying to have a normal conversation! So I'm sorry but no, I will not talk to a man if they're only going to think about what I look like naked instead of actually being interested in getting to know me!" I rant. 

And it was all true, but I also get a little defensive when people try to bring him into my life, even if it's just a conversation. I can barely say his name without my heart feeling like it's breaking all over again.

"She has a point." Eva says, raising her eyebrows and putting her hands up in defence when Mila and Faith glare at her.

"Vada, it's been five years. Your 23 and have only ever been in one relationship and your straight. This has got to be a crime somewhere! Plus, we just want you to be happy." Faith tells me. 

"I am happy." I tell her. "Can we change the topic now?"

They all sigh but regardlessly do as I asked. 

"How was your class today Miss. Jones?" Eva teases, knowing Mila will complain for 2 minutes and then go on telling us how much she loves her job for 30 minutes.

"Surprisingly, they were pretty good. Everyone stood for the pledge, no one was screaming and they all listened." She tells us. "But they're still 4th graders and are very noisy." We all laugh at her statement and I shake my head.

"How's work for you Vada?" Faith asks. 

"Good, actually I have a client in an hour and then I have this brand deal shoot thingy so I better get some food. I'll be back." I say, walking up to the counter before they could say anything else. 

"Hey Stace, how's little Willie?" I ask about her 2 year old son as I sit on one of the bar stools. 

"He's good, what can I get for you?" She asks me, smiling. 

"Can I have a chocolate milkshake and fries please?" I ask and she nods, placing my order in the kitchen. I take my phone out as I wait, sitting on the stool at the end of the counter. 

A figure beside me catches my attention and my heart drops the second I see the cross tattoo on their hand and a ring that looks way too similar to the one I got him. 

It's just a coincidence, I tell myself. 

"Hi, have you seen a Vada Carter around?" The deep, raspy accented voice asks. 

Or maybe not.

-----------------------------------------------------------