- 6: Is dognapping illegal? -

Emily's P

Emily's P.O.V.

We don't always get what we want, and we're supposed to be okay with that. You know what? It's easy to say such sucky proverbs but when it comes down to something so fucking basic, I almost feel like God or 'whomsoever it may concern' has something against me.

First day of school was a disaster. How stupid was I when I thought I could go for one day without being involved in any drama. Is that too much to ask for?

One day. Literally one day. But no, Ryder fucking Green had to drop out of nowhere and make that impossible for me.

After the whole 'reveal', which for everyone's convenience, took place in front of half the population of the school, I stormed out of the cafeteria. Wanting to get away from all the judgement and stares of confusion and the worst of all, recognition.

'And him.'

I refused to acknowledge the moment our eyes met or the fact that he recognised me with so much as a glance while no one else could. I refused to acknowledge the look of admiration he had, when I stood up to Jennie. I refused to acknowledge the increase in my heartbeat, when he said my name. That me, is long gone.

'Still a coward.'

I shook my head as I enter my house followed by Lexi and headed straight to the kitchen.

"So... "

"No. Whatever you're thinking, no." I snapped, heading to the refrigerator to grab a box of orange juice.

"I was gonna ask you to make pancakes for me, you rude bitch." She said sitting on one of the stool chairs, that were around the island in the centre of our kitchen.

"It's 3 in the afternoon." I deadpanned, turning to look at her.

"Your point?"

When I didn't budge, she continued.

"It's the least you can do for me, man. I was called by the name of a thing I loathe, on my first day of school." She whined. Literally whined, like a 5 year old.

I sighed seeing no point in arguing with this creature I call my best friend. I almost felt bad for her as it was her first day at that school and well, it was far from normal.

She squealed when she saw me placing different ingredients on the island.

"Is Alec home yet?" She asked twirling on the stool.

"Nope. He texted me, he'll be home late." I said mixing the batter. "Something about catching up with his friends."

That made her stop twirling as she looked at me. I didn't raise my head.

"You know you could be doing the same, right?" She started, trying to be casual as she says each word carefully. "I mean, I'm new to the state and all, but you know people, and have friends here. That was such a cute little group we met today."