- 2: We go business, we wear business -

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

Friend.

What did that word mean? If it had a meaning, that is. 'A person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.' is what Google had to say for my question. Hats off to Google for making it sound so unproblematic. Well, it is a meaningless question in the first place. Putting in all your faith, trust and love for a person is not the weird part. The fact that letting go, pulling away, saying 'no', and just breaking someone becomes so easy is the scariest thing.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear or use the word friend is trust. The word friend is so common these days as everyone just loves throwing it around but deep down everyone knows they're pretty much alone in a room full of those 'friends'.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the poor word or people using it the way they like. It's just that my personal experience has made me question this word. In my opinion, one should just never give anyone the power to break them because that's what we do, that's the mistake everyone makes at least once in their life. Just think it over, who's there to really blame? It's us. We give the other person so much power over us that they're capable of leaving us completely shattered.

I sigh, blinking as these very familiar thoughts make me clench my fist.

Shaking away the thoughts, I walk into my closet to look for an outfit, as Lexi, so politely, asked me to over the phone.

Alexis Harper, my friend. Let me rephrase that, my only friend. A friend I trust. I've had many such friends in the past, friends I trusted, who made school bearable but everything changed with the newly found trust issues. I grew more and more distant from everyone. I was not the same bubbly person that I once was. But one day a girl filled with hope and light barged (literally) into my life.

*Flashback*

I walked into my house after another long and useless day of school groaning as I felt another headache slowly growing.

'Do hell with the homework, I just wanna change and sleep.' I thought dropping my bag and starting to walk up the stairs when I was pulled back, quite forcefully might I add.

"What the-" I was met with a glaring Alec. "Food, first" he said sternly.

"I'm not hun-"

"I don't care. I saw you feeding your lunch to Chase." he cut me off narrowing his eyes.

I matched his look with a glare of my own before rolling my eyes and walking into the kitchen with him. I sat by the counter while Alec heated up our lunch.

I sigh as I lay my head on my hands that are folded on the counter. Alec is right, I haven't been eating and I know they noticed. Its been more than a month since we moved here and I've already lost a lot of weight, its almost concerning. I have changed so much, that I sometimes don't recognise the girl staring back at me in the mirror.