*Potions*

September 2nd, 1975

Potions were one of Rory's favourite subjects. One, she liked the idea of mixing things together, two, she needed it to become a healer, and three, it was a common interest shared by Lily, Severus, and herself. When she received her timetable, she was happy to see that it was the first thing she had that day, and better yet, she had it with lils and sev. They walked down to the dungeons together and Severus parted with them to go sit with the Slytherins. When Professor Slughorn came in he immediately started to re-arrange the seats. 

"Good morning class! Now now, I will call your partners name and where you are to be seated. These will remain the same until the second semester. Alright, Mr. Potter and Ms. Evans,..." Rory gave Lily a reassuring smile while she walked up to the front of the class. Rory felt like she was sitting by herself for hours until her name was finally called. 

"Ms. Dunlap and Mr. Rosier at the back of the class please." Rory raised an eyebrow at herself. She had never really encountered Rosier so she was wondering how it was going to go. Her thoughts were ruined when she heard Mulciber talk loudly. "Careful Evan, you have that mudblood Dunlap. Don't want your robes to get filth." Rory was unaffected by the comment after years of the same word being thrown at her. She heard laughs coming from the other Slytherins but noticed that Rosier was not one of them. He silently walked over to Rory sat down and looked at her. She noticed his eyes were an icy blue, a little greyer than her fathers and brother. Her thoughts were once again interrupted but this time by none other than Sirius Balck who had a smug smirk on his face. 

"Hey princess. If you ever have any trouble with this snake, just come and get me." Rory held fury in her eyes when she remembered what Regulus told her yesterday. However, she kept calm and said sweetly, 

"Aww, how sweet of you Black, but this princess can fight on her own." Sirius's smirk transferred from his to Rory's face. He left their table while muttering something. Rory's gaze returned to Rosier's face who held amusement, she smiled a little at him. " I think you're the first person I've ever met that has been able to shut him up. That's quite impressive, especially from a Hufflepuff" Rory kept the smile and shrugged her shoulders. She then said, "How about you get the ingredients while I set up the cauldron and read the instructions." Rosier was a little confused at the sudden behaviour from the girl but got up to collect the ingredients nonetheless. 

"Not much of a socializer?" he asked when he returned from the student cupboard. Rory looked at him and said, "No, I just thought you wouldn't want your buddies to see you talking to a mudblood." Although he didn't react to the foul word, she could see slight discomfort in his eyes when she said it. She started the first step to making a sleeping drought. 

"Can I ask you something personal?" Rory said unexpectedly catching Rosier off guard. "You can ask me something as well if you like" she added. "Er.. I guess?" he replied calmly but on the inside, he was almost excited to see what she wanted to ask but also confused as to why he was going to answer. 

"Do you really believe in Blood Supremacy?" Rosier thought for a minute and answered, before even thinking about the consequences of replying. "No?.." It came up more as a question than as an answer. Rory seemed satisfied with the answer and continued on with the potion. "So? What's your question for me?" She had a guess at what it was going to be. Rosier seemed to think of every question possible before he settled on one. 

"What happened in third year? I mean you left for like half the year and then returned." She was right. Rory looked away from Rosier before opening her mouth to reply. "My parents and brother were targeted from death eaters in my second year. They were murdered before I returned for summer." Rosier almost wanted to reassure her before reminding himself who he was. Rory took another breath and continued on. "I moved to America with my grandmother. I got accepted to Ilvermorny and started school there. There was one boy, Tobias Yaxley, who was very nice to me. He helped me with all my classes and helped me adapt to the new school." Rory was subconsciously cutting roots while Rosier was surprised that Yaxley was nice to her. "I saw him like a brother but he didn't I guess. I rejected him when he asked to take me out and I guess he was mad. H-he harassed me but I er.. punched him and took out like 4 teeth." She was haunted by the memory by chuckled anyways. 

"I reported him but his parents were mad that I 'attacked' him and took out his perfect teeth." She rolled her eyes. "My grandma also got involved, but that was only because she likes drama. Most of the time she ignores me. Anyways, the headmaster had to choose sides with Yaxley because his parents were threatening him. My grandma pulled me out of Ilvermorny before anything could happen, and we moved back to Britain, in my parent's house, and Dumbledore accepted me back so yea." Rory finished her story without so much of a glance at her partner. After a few minutes passed, "Well then, I guess you have to remind me to never mess with you," said Rosier. Rory took a second to register his comment before she started laughing. She was surprised by his reaction, and so was he. 

"I'm sorry, I don't know why I found that funny!" she kept on giggling before finally calming down. She hadn't laughed so hard since her second year. Rosier smiled a bit before returning to the potion. " Can I ask you another thing?" she asked "Sure" 

"Alright, I want to know why you don't completely believe in the blood supremacist thing." This time Rosier hesitantly took a deep breath before replying. "You probably know but my parents taught me to think that anything less than purebloods is bad. When I was younger I believed it because I was young. When I first boarded the train, there was a girl that was struggling to put her suitcase up. I would have ignored her or even made things worse but for some reason, I decided to help. I didn't recognize her and by the looks of it, she was muggle-born or a half-blood. Yet she smiled at me really sweetly and I couldn't find anything evil about it. So that's when I realized it. It's a shame though, I didn't get to ask what her name was and she's the whole reason why I changed my views. Of course, I don't say that I have but I did." It felt good for him to get that piece of information off his chest.

He reminded Rory a lot of Regulus. When she first met him, he was quite the blood supremacist. Then again he was a first year. It took a while to warm up to him before they became best friends and almost like brother and sister. The potion was nearly done, meaning that their little bond would be gone. Both were relieved yet they didn't want the class to be done. "My my! Looks like Ms.Dunlap and Mr. Rosier made a perfect potion together! Mr.Snape and Ms.McDonald, you two were very close but I believe that these two did better. I award Hufflepuff and Slytherin 10 points each. Remember to clean up and then the class is dismissed." 

Rory and Rosier both used their wands and in a matter of 30 seconds, their desk was clean. "Well then Dunlap, I guess I'll see you next week." He said. "Call me Rory." with a smile, she left.