*The letter*

December 12th, 1976

After her breakdown, Rory decided to tell her grandfather and ask for DADA lessons with him. He agreed and they both decided that she would tell other people she was taking them with McGonagall. Her lessons with him went well as she was able to do most of them wordlessly.

"Rory, this summer we will not have training like we did last summer." She looked at him quizzically. "I made a secret society called the order of the Pheonix about 6 years ago, which is to help go against Voldemort and his followers. I need your help to round some potential people up. " She was going through some people through her head. "Some families are already involved such as the Weasleys, the Prewetts, some Aurors, I just want you to find some people you know and can trust" They fell into a bit of silence. "Rory, would you like to learn about the Patronus charm? I'm positive that you will be able to succeed." Rory thought about it. Dumbledore was just worried that she wouldn't be able to find a memory due to all she had been through. "Yes, I'll give it a go."

She stood up in the middle of the room and ran thoughts through her head. Dumbledore watched from a distance to see what happens. Rory thought of the time her Hogwarts letter came when she became friends with Severus and Lily when her parents came to the platform. "Expecto patronum" a wisp of blue light shot out. "Try thinking of a happier memory." She closed her eyes again. Last Christmas, when the Halloween potion went wrong, the black lake, the astronomy tower, "Expecto patronum" She gasped when she saw what came out of her wand.

A beautiful Pheonix flew out and circled the room. She let it fly to Dumbledore before it vanished. "A Pheonix.." said her grandfather with an excited smile. "How extraordinary," he seemed to be thinking very hard because he started to pace. "I did it!" Rory on the other hand was very jumpy and smiley. Fawkes was impressed that two people with the same Patronus reacted very differently.  "Rory, may I ask what you thought about?" Rory went from very cheery, to bright red in the face. "Err, I was thinking about the happy times I had with... Evan?" It came up as more of a question. Now that she thought about it, most of the time she was happy was when she was with Evan. "I see, may I ask? If you two are.." "What! No! He's my best friend, we're not dating." she was flustered, and Dumbledore put two and two together, but he left her as it was. 

****

Rory and Evan decided that they would wake up early every day so they could sit together for breakfast without the other Slytherins around. Usually, the post would come around 7 but today she found her owl come to her. The brown bird dropped a letter to her and sat on Evans's head. "Ow get off you big bird!" Rory snickered while opening the letter. She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but her eyes widened when she saw her grandma's familiar handwriting.

Dear Rory,

I'm not sure if this got to you since I wasn't sure how to use an owl but hopefully, you got this. I hate to tell you like this, but it seems I have been diagnosed with cancer. I'm in the fourth stage right now, so there is not much I can do. The doctors tell me I might not be able to see next year. It's probably because of those damn cigarettes, I should have listened to your mother. I wrote my will the other day and when I pass, everything will belong to you, except for the money, I will be using that to go on a vacation in the Maldives. You probably won't see me again so I hope you have a good life and even though I don't say this much, I love you.

-Grandma

Rory wasn't sure whether to cry or not. Sure, her grandma's passing is sad, but she was really old and she had a feeling this would happen. Rory felt a bit angry that she would rather go on a vacation than see her again for the last time. When Evan finally got the feather from her bird out of his hair, he noticed the quietness. "Hey, Ola. are you ok?" She passed him the letter and continued eating her breakfast. Evan read and re-read the letter to make sure he read it correctly, "Well, I'm not sure what to say. Seems like she's a bit of a jerk, but at least you get her stuff and she said she loved you." Rory grinned at him. "You know, the last thing I said to her was, 'bye grandma, love you' and she said 'make sure to lock the door when you leave, I don't want any thieves.'. Even though she wasn't a great guardian, she still let me live with her when my parents died, and I guess I'm happy that she'll spend the rest of her life at a beach. I'm just glad she took me under her wing." She said it with a sad smile.

"So... where are you going to live?" "Well, I can live in my parent's house but it's too big for me, so I might just get an apartment in Diagon ally." Living by herself scared her a bit, but she was ready. "If you need any help, just tell me ok?" "Ok"