*Slughorns Christmas party*

December 13th, 1975

Christmas was just around the corner, meaning that Slughorn was hosting his annual Christmas party this Friday which Rory reluctantly had to go to. She didn't mind his dinner parties because most of the time she sat quietly with Lily, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to go to his party this year. In the end, she decided to go because they were serving her favourite tart. Now she just had to find someone to go with, but that wasn't her top priority.

"Psst, who are you taking to the party?" Evan whispered from the seat next to her. When she ignored him, he poked her and repeated, "Who are you taking?" Rory looked up to make sure Slughorn was not facing them before turning her head with annoyance in her eyes. "We are in the middle of a quiz you idiot!" she hissed. Either not noticing her annoyance or simply ignoring it he said again, "Who are you taking this weekend?" Rory couldn't believe his audacity. She took deep breaths to keep herself calm before saying, "Can't you ask me after class?" Unfortunately, Rory forgot to look and see if Slughorn was near, and to her utter horror, he was standing right next to the pair. "Detention! Mr. Rosier and Ms. Dunlap. I shall see you two tomorrow at 5 pm, my office." Rory held the violent urge to stab Evan with her quill. Evan held a slight smirk. "That's what you get for ignoring me!" Before she could do any damage to the boy, the bell rang indicating their next period.

****

Rory was irritated throughout the day. The only thing that seemed to be in her favour, was that she only had two more classes. When she had the time to think, she wondered, who was she going to go with to the party? Normally, she would go with Regulus but seeing that he most likely will take Athena, she couldn't go with him. Lily and Severus always go together so another dead end. It was going to be a full moon soon so she thought Remus wouldn't be up for it. 

The next day passed like a breeze, but that only meant that her detention with Evan was coming. She mentally prepared herself from killing him. She wasn't necessarily angry that she had detention, but she was frustrated with the reason why she had it. She knew it was going to be a long night so she stuffed herself with some pumpkin pasties and headed off to the dungeons, Evan following shortly after. "Ah Rory, and Mr. Rosier. Today I will have you clean out the cauldrons without your wands. I will be in my office if you need me. Hand over your wands and you may begin." Ready to get this over with, she handed her wand to the professor and started scrubbing at the cauldrons. She was happy that Slughorn stayed in his office otherwise it would have been really awkward.  "Hello to you to Rory." Evans's voice was heard. 

"You know you could have asked me after class, not in the middle of the Test! That's why we're here cleaning these stupid cauldrons" She scrubbed the cauldron a little aggressively and Rory knew she was overreacting but she didn't care. "You still didn't answer my question, who are you taking to the party." 

"I'm not really sure actually. I usually go with Reg but I think he's taking his girlfrien-" Rory immediately clapped her hands over her mouth. "I mean he can't go this year." She was trying really hard to lie but it wasn't working "Wait?! Regulus has a girlfriend?!" "No! of course, he doesn't, what are you talking about?" Rory tried to advert her eyes away from Evan and scrubbed the pot even more aggressively. "Your lying! You do that eye thing when you lie. Who is his girlfriend?" Rory cursed herself for letting that slip."I can't tell you." "Fine, then I guess I'll just walk out and go ask him," Rory's eyes widened. "No! Don't tell him! he will kill me. Fine, he has a girlfriend but you can't tell anyone!" "I won't tell anyone if you tell me who it is" He smirked at her struggling. "Athena," She said it at almost a whisper, but Evan heard what she said. "Yes! I knew it!" Rory chuckled slightly at his behaviour. "Who are you going with?" She said.