*Proffessor Earl*

September 2nd, 1976

Rory and Evan had DADA together which they were both happy about. When they walked in Rory was disappointed to see a middle-aged cheery man. She reluctantly gave Evan 5 galleons and sat together at the back of the class. The class was buzzing at the new teacher and was excited to see what he brought into the class. "Hello class, I am Professor Earl, and I will be teaching you this year," He had a slight Bulgarian accent so she wondered if he was even British. "I used to be a professor at Drumstrang Institute and now I am teaching here. Todays class we are going to review some stuff from past years such as boggarts. If you all can follow me." He led them to another classroom with a big wardrobe inside it. "Inside is a boggart, I hope you all remember the spell to defeat it? and now, you there," he pointed at Diggory, "when I say , I will open the wardrobe and you must humiliate it. Everyone form a line behind him and lets start." 

Rory's eyes were wide, was he not going to review the ridikulus charm and just throw them out there? Before anyone was ready, Earl opened the wardrobe and out stepped a man, Amos's father. The boggart started saying cruel things to him, such as being a disappointment. Amos was trembling under the words. "Amos! its just a boggart!" Rory said. Amos seemed to register her words and yelled Ridikulus, and his father was replaced by a dancing one. "Wonderful job! Smith! you next" one by one, people stepped in front and faced their fears. Many were loved ones dying, others were unknown. Evan went before her. The previous corpse turned into a mirror image of himself, but Rory noticed boggart Evan wearing long cloaks and had an evil smile on his face. Evan was scarred for becoming a death eater. 

Evan was frozen and pale. Boggart Evan reached for his left arm and started rolling up his sleeves. Before it could go any further, Evan sent a spell its way and it vanished to him in colourful clothes, but he didn't laugh. Next was Rory's turn, she didn't know what scared her. At first, it changed to Yaxley, his evil smirk and everything, Rory didn't react, so it changed to Bellatrix, still no reaction, next, the letter of her parent's death, the same thing. Dead Lily, she flinched, dead Severus, winced, dead Evan, dead Tina, dead Reg she took out her wand and cast the spell. Her boggart seemed to catch the class's attention. Earl was watching intently at the girl. Rory looked at him straight in the eye and walked to the back of the line. 

"Rory, are you alright?" she was shaking a little "Yea I'm fine." They both knew she wasn't but kept quiet. Rory felt something odd about the professor, and she didn't like it. She attempted to use legimens on him, but it didn't work. Clearly, he knew occlumency, but what was he hiding? "That is enough for now so lets go back to the classroom shall we?". They all warily followed, none really happy about the outcome of his class.

****

DADA was not getting any better. They learnt about werewolves and how to kill them. This infuriated Rory and spoke up about it. It didn't do much of a difference. Other times, they were sent to the forbidden forest to find creatures, which resulted in many students requiring rescue as they were lost. Today was the last chance Rory was going to give the class before she would quit and report him to Dumbledore. Earl was very interested in Rory's life and several times she found him trying to penetrate her mind. She of course blocked him out and pretended not to notice. She had a grudge against him and his learning and wished to punch him every time he criticized her. Evan held her back from attacking a teacher, but he too seemed to not like him.

"Does anybody know of the three unforgivable curses?" Few raised their hands. "And can anyone tell me why they are unforgivable?" "Because the effects of the curses are unforgivable and send you straight to azkaban." "Correct Ms. Patil. Can anyone tell me the curses." Macmillan answered this time. "There's one me dad talked about, believe it was the imperious curse." Earl grabbed a spider from a jar and placed it on his desk.  It occurred to Rory that he would perform the spell. "Yes, gave the ministry a run for their money. Imperio." Rory cringed at it. The spider seemed to be doing a tap dance which people laughed at, but Rory didn't find it funny. Neither did Evan. "Next," in a small voice, Bones said "The cructiatus curse." The colour from Rorys face drained. "Ah yes, a very crucial one, Crucio." Rory couldn't handle it. Her parents had to go through it. She didn't realize she was shaking until Evan stood up. "Stop." The sudden confrontation seemed to surprise the teacher. "Perhaps Mr. Rosier, you would like to show up the last one?" He was giving him a glare. "No" Earl smirked before turning to the spider and muttered "Avada Kedavra"  The killing curse. The one that killed her brother. Rory stood up from her seat and ran out the door, Evan following shortly after. 

He found her on the ground crying. "Rory, its ok," he hugged her. "Th-they h-had t-to go through t-that, and Co-cody had to -" She didn't finish her sentence. He couldn't imagine the pain going through her. He gave her a piece of chocolate and offered to talk. "Just stay here please." she asked, and he did.