*Mind Reading*

December 1992

Everyone who knew Rory or Cody was devastated, but not as much as Evan. He pleaded with Dumbledore to take them back home, and without much of a conversation, he allowed it. Even though he knew they wouldn't be able to hear what he was saying, he talked and read and grieved over them. Severus promised he was working on the antidote as fast as he could, he just needed the mandrakes to grow. Evan knew they weren't dead, so he tried to make himself feel better, but without Rory laughing with him, or Cosy telling him everything he knew, it just wasn't the same.

For a whole month, Evan was a mess. He was trying to keep up with himself, but he still needed help from the Weasleys. There was news that 2 more people had been petrified, leading Evan to urge the rest of his kids back home for Christmas. As soon as they came back from the platform, the children went up to see their little brother and mother lying motionless in the bed. Tina couldn't hold in her tears and embraced Evan for moral support. Molly and Reg were both visibly angry on the inside, reg's hair turning slightly red and Molly's hands getting hot. Evan escorted them out immediately, and let them cool down.

****

Now it was my, Evan had improved his living since November, but he was still a little down. He sat beside his wife and son every day, reading to them. He decided to read a random book, which was about famous wizards and witches in the past. At the moment, he was reading about a wizard who was famous for being a born legimins. 

"He used this power to see what was going on inside people's heads when he found uncertainty. Legimins is not only used to read people's minds but to also communicate. However, one can only access a person's mind when they open up. If they are skilled in Occlumenncy-." He re-read the words. A second later, Evan had an idea, he could've light up a lightbulb. "Why didn't I think about it before!?" he said to himself. He pointed his wand at his wife. "Rory, I'm not sure if you can hear, but I'm going to read you mind alright? legimins" 

He felt himself in a dark place. It took him a moment to realize what he was seeing, Rory had let him into her mind. "Rory?" "Evan?" Evan's eyes widened. "Rory! Can you hear me?" "Yes Ev, I've been able to hear you the whole time, thank you for keeping us company."  Evan was over the moon. But his happiness soon disappeared. "Ola, do you remember what attacked you?" there was a bit of silence before he heard Rory's voice again and his scenery changed. He was at Hogwarts looking out the Window, Cody beside him. "I saw it through the window, then I was petrified. I heard Cody think it through, and he seemed to have figured it out. I can't tell you much, but go into Cody's mind and you might figure it out." She said as Evan watched his wife's memory. "Alright thank you Ola, and the antidote is coming soon, just hang in there." Even though he couldn't see her, he could feel her warm smile. "As long as you're here, I will be Fine. I love you Evan."  Evan nodded. "I love you too." He exited her mind and looked at his son. 

"Ready or not Cody, here I come." He plunged into Cody's mind. "Hi, dad!" Evan smiled happily. "Hey, bud! I've missed you! I need you to tell me everything you know about the attacker." Cody started talking. "OK well, I kind of connected the dots when mum was petrified. No one was around her, and she was looking out the window. Then I realized that windows are reflective especially at night. So then it meant that mum saw something behind her and that's what petrified her. I even had proof because Filch's cat looked through the water, and Colin Creevy looked through his camera."  Evan nodded understandingly. "So the creature can petrify you by looking at its eyes?" 

"Not exactly. Do you know about the dead girl in the girl's bathroom?" Evan furrowed his eyebrows. "Yea... but why do you know about it?" He heard Cody sigh.. "Ginny was crying in there, not the time dad. Anyways, Moaning Myrtle was talking about her death, and she said the last thing she saw was two big pairs of yellow eyes, which is what I saw. Then I remembered when I was little, Tina read a book about snakes to me, and one of them, a Basilisk, had the power to kill people just by looking at them." "Wait so how are you not dead?" "Shh, let me finish. It can kill you, but if you look at a reflection of it, you just get petrified." Evan took in all the information. "So you think its a basilsk down there? But wouldn't people realize if a giant snake was roaming the halls?" "No, it uses pipes. So then, I figured it out and kept my eyes closed, but I had to get to grandpa, so I needed a mirror or something to keep me safe. I think it was better than dying." "Cody! You're a genius! I'm very proud of you! But I have to get to Dumble, I'll come back as soon as possible!" 

"Alright dad, but be careful! Bring a chicken with you and use a mirror when you turn the corners." Evan was confused, "Why a chicken?" Cody laughed. "A chickens cry is fatal to them, it'll keep you safe." Evan took a mental note of it. "Alright, I've gotta go bud. I'll see you soon. Love you." "Love you too dad.

****

Evan had scooped up a chicken on his way out of the house and used the floor to get to Dumbledore's office. Clutching the bird under his hand, he stepped out of the fireplace and found Dumbledore, Severus, Molly, Authur, and Minnie standing together looking tearful but happy. "Oh hello Evan," Dumbledore said calmly. He shook his head and started talking. "Dumbledore sir, I went into Cody and Rory's mind and Cody had the infor-" Dumbledore raised his hand to stop him from talking. "Evan, it's already done. Ginny had been the one to open the chamber but she was possessed by Voldemort's diary from when he was a teenager. Ms. Granger also figured it our but was petrified before she could tell anyone. Harry and Ron figured it out and went to go save Ginny. Harry killed the snake and all is done." Evan was relieved and slightly disappointed at the same time. "Oh, then I guess that's settled." Molly was wiping excess tears from her face. "Evan, why are you holding a chiken?" Evan's mind went to the bird, "Oh uh- Cody told me to bring one because the snake doesn't like them." 

The adults nodded a little hesitantly. After that, Dumbledore dismissed everyone and told Evan that the potion was ready. Eagerly, he brought home the antidote and his wife and son were awake. Evan explained to them what had happened, and out of the whole story Cody replied with, "Did you really bring a chicken to school?" They laughed it off, for the first time in 8 months.