Chapter 4: Stripes

My alarm wakes me up with a loud annoying ring. "I need to change that," I take note of it and get out of bed. The clothes I left out are still sitting on my dresser waiting for me, so I pick them up and dress myself. I head to the bathroom mirror to check how I look, and decide it's good enough.

"It's not like I'll be staying long anyway. No need for a good impression." I chuckle at my own joke and finish my morning routine.

When I walk into the kitchen I groan, realizing I haven't bought anything and didn't bring food with me either. I decide to leave earlier than planned to take a look around town, find somewhere to eat, and hopefully get to school on time.

I shove a couple pencils and a few notebooks my mom had bought me into my bag and toss it on my back. I check my wallet for how much cash I have and get a little worried. I guess I could buy a bagel or something but I reaaaally need to just get groceries. I slide my phone and wallet away and head outside. It's a fairly cool day, and my clothes fit the weather just fine. I had no clue what the average temperatures would be like here, so I packed a bunch of clothes. As I walk down the sidewalk, I see cats, rats, and all sorts of animals. I'm pretty comfortable with it, it is a city after all. And besides, I won't be here long anyway.

There's a chain fast-food restaurant I recognize, and decide it's best not to try anything new. If I feel up to it, I'll ask for recommendations from people or something like that. I get myself something to eat and bring it with me as I keep walking. The town is huge and loops around thousands of times, so I'm happy I have myself the extra hour to get there. The only thing that's really that concerning is the way the sun looks. Again, I avoid it because I know I won't stay.

I arrive at the school with about 20 minutes to spare, but I wouldn't be surprised if I spent all that time staring at this building. It's huge for no reason. And what is it with this school and those skulls?
Three kids walk out of the building and stand outside to talk. There's two girls dressed similarly, and a boy who looks about my age. Even though I don't really want to make friends, I still don't want to look like an idiot and not know where my class is. I walk up to them and awkwardly interrupt.

"Hey, sorry to be a bother, but, could you guys show me where the E-A-T classroom is? I'm new as of today and don't really know where anything is soo..."
The boy with the black hair is first to respond, "The three of us are also in that class, so we'll be able to lead you right there, as well as to your seat." The boy has three white stripes going across the left side of his head. I wonder how he does that, the lines are really cleanly dyed.

"Ooh! And we can introduce you to our friends!" The shorter girl jumps in.

The boy turns to his friends and attempts to whisper, but I could hear it pretty clearly. "Father never told me we were having a new student, was this last minute?" When he turns back around, I notice the skull broach on his chest. So he's the principal's kid? Of course.

"I apologize, I never introduced myself. I'm Death the Kid, but you can just call me Kid. I'm sure you've met my father, Lord Death, the dean of this school"

Why'd they go with 'the Kid' instead of 'Junior'? What happens when he's an adult?

"I'm Liz, and this is my sister, Patty." The taller girl gestures to her sister and smiles.

They wait for me to respond.

"I'm (y/n)." That was the best I could do for an introduction?

"That's a pretty name!" Patty calls. I nod my head to agree, but don't really feel like making friends. I scuff my feet and look down in the awkwardness.
"Well, there's no harm in showing you the classroom early. Why don't we head there now?" Stripe-boy leads the way while the girls follow behind on opposite sides.