Chapter 9: Truth

"(y/n), truth or dare?" I don't want to embarrass myself by doing an awful dare. I think I should just pick truth and make up a lie to not sound weird. They don't know me well, they won't know it's not true.

"Truth, I guess,"

"Alright," She hesitates, "If you had to pick someone in the school to say you like, who is it?"

"I don't like anyone, I just met all of you,"

"But you have to pick! Like, make a guess of who you think you'd get a crush on or something."

"But I don't like anyone!"

"I'm not sure I believe that," Maka jokes while giving me a dirty look.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask her, but realize I didn't need to. "Wait, no! Did you see-"

"See your paper? Yep. I saw all four of those." 'Those' is clearly meant to mean 'Drawings of Kid'. But nobody else really understands.

I drop my face into my palms with embarrassment. It's not like that! He was just nice to me! That's all! I don't know why she thinks of it like that.

"Does this mean there's an actual answer?" Liz asks to either Maka or I, I can't tell.

"Can I tell them?" Maka turns to me. Why does she have to be so nice? I don't want any friends!

I mumble into my hands. "I'd rather you not," I sit there for a second to catch my breath, "And it's not even like that!"

"There were four! And you're gonna tell me 'it's not like that'? I'm honestly impressed you memorized..." She stops talking because she doesn't want to give anything away if I'm not comfortable with it.

"I swear it's not like that. I mean, I don't really know what it's like anymore anyway," Great. Way to get way too deep into your emotions for one simple question.

"Are you saying you don't know what it's like to have a crush?" Liz looks at me.

"I guess..? It's just been a while since I've even had friends, if I'm being honest."

Why am I telling them this?

"(y/n), I'm sorry if I brought up something you didn't want to talk about," Liz tries to calm me down.

"No, no, it's alright. Sorry if I made this awkward..."

"Now, now, you guys," Soul starts, "It would be unfair to not answer a question in Truth or Dare. We're gonna bring you back over next week and you're gonna have an answer to Liz's question, whether we're all here or not,"

"Soul-" I can tell Maka's trying to stop him.

"I'm cool with that. It gives me a week to figure out my actual emotions too." We all sit here uncomfortably for a minute, feeling like we had said too much or pressured too intensely.

Maka hands me her phone with an empty contact open.

"I've gotta be able to text you when to come over, right?" She smiles, and for the first time, I don't hate that she does.