Chatper 34: My Weapon

(A/N: I hate when people introduce OCs in fanfictions, but I did it here. They won't be very relevant, I'm gonna focus on you and Kid past this point, but I just needed to get the information out about them.)

Another awkward day at school. We sat with Liz and Patty again, but we didn't talk to them. Kid tried explaining more soul stuff to me with the time we had during lunch.

"Where were the two of you during the second half of class yesterday?" Maka asks.

"Were you-" Kid and I leave before Soul even gets to finish his sentence. We spent the rest of lunch in the Death Room. Kid didn't kick out Lord Death today, but I could tell he wanted to.

We sat across from each other on the floor while Kid continued his explanation of witches. He seems pretty passionate about everything he's been explaining to me. The bright smile on his face, his animated actions, the way he excitedly throws his hands around to apply visuals.

"I had to fight this witch one time," He checks his phone, "It's a long story, so if I don't finish, ask me about it later," He pushes his bangs out of his face and tells me his story.

"So we got sent on this mission, right? Liz and Patty weren't in weapon form while we were on the way, but we kept running into things, so they kept having to transform back and forth at least 8 times-"

"Was it really 8 or did you just say 8 because you like the number better?"

"Hey!" He laughs, "You don't have to call me out like that!"

We laugh throughout the entirety of lunchtime, and we were both so invested in this story that we barely ate anything.

"Oh shoot, we're gonna be late, remind me where we left off on this story and we can keep going later." He scoops up all his things into his lunch bag. As we head back to class, Kid's dad waves us goodbye. Kid ignored him, but I didn't.

"Have a nice day, Lord Death," If I'm crushing on Kid, I've gotta be on his dad's good side, right?

"You don't have to be nice to him," Kid slides his hands in his pockets.

"Your house is pretty nice, I'm just doing it so I don't have to go back to those dorms,"

"Fair enough," Kid accepts my made up reasoning.

Class is boring, as usual, but I'm taking a lot of notes today. Kid and I talked about how tonight we were going to work on the core subjects, so I wanted to be able to answer any questions he might have from class. I think we're gonna plan out a schedule between soul studies and all the ones I have to teach him.

*****

We sit in the same spots in his room as we did the last time, but we use the desk space way more.

"So we talked about simplifying expressions today, is that what you'll need to work on?"

"Yeah, I get confused when there's too many letters."

"I get it, I get it," I write out some of the problems from today on a paper and let him try and solve them. I ask him to take me through the process and I correct him whenever he messes up.

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah?"

"I didn't say that..." Kid drops his pencil on the paper and looks around the room.

"Drop the knives, (Y/N)," The voice tells me. I didn't even know they were out, it scared me when I looked down and saw them.

"This isn't a soul thing I don't know about, is it?" I ask Kid while placing my daggers on the floor.

"Not that I know of," Kid looks scared.

"(Y/N)," Shapes and light rise above the blades, but I can't tell what they really are yet. Kid and I both stand up and stand close, preparing for a potential fight.

The tension lowers when the lights take the form of a young child.

"Who are you?" Kid asks, holding a hand in front of me.

"(Y/N)'s..." The child hesitated for a moment, tracing their finger in the air, "Nephew,"

"Nephew?" I ask, shocked.

"You have a sister, right?"

"Yeah but...how are you here?"

"I'm dead, (Y/N)," I've been calling them ghost knives for years, I don't know how that wasn't the first thing that came to mind.

"Do you have a name?" I ask. The child only nods their head.

"Are you going to tell us?" Kid asks. The child shakes their head, "I don't like it," The child looks around the room, "Could you call me Aster?"

"Aster, what are you doing here?" I respect the child's wishes.

"I don't really know how it all works," Aster's eyes move around uncomfortably, "But he told me I wouldn't come out until Mom was gone."

"Who's 'he'-"

"What do you mean 'mom was gone'?" I started shaking, "Are you telling me my sister is..."

"(Y/N)," Kid turns to me.

"I'm sorry," Aster begins to tear up, "I didn't mean to hurt you,"

"It's alright, Aster. It's just a lot to take in," Kid sits me down in the chair and holds my hand. I pull his arm to my chest and hug it like it's a teddy bear.

"That's your mom, isn't it? Are you alright?" I ask Aster.

"I died before she did, so I guess it doesn't hurt as bad. It took me a while to figure it out." Their hair falls in front of their eyes as they look down to the floor.

"Do you need a place to sleep, Aster?" Kid offers.

"No, I'm a ghost...I think...I've slept in the blades for a while."

"Well, if you ever do need a bed for any reason, we still have several guest rooms in the manor." Kid is being so nice for such a confusing situation.

"It's nice to meet you Aster, I'm sorry it had to be so sad when we met." I wipe my eyes.

"It's okay," Aster starts to fade, "I'm your weapon, (Y/N), please, use me that way," As the light falls back into the daggers, Kid and I turn to each other.

"Kinda scary, dontcha think?"

"Yes, but, at least we understand your weapon a little better," Kid says to me.

"I guess. Does that mean it's in my family's blood? Being a weapon, I mean,"

"Possibly, but Aster's father may have been the weapon before them. You also would have known more about this sort of thing if your sister was a demon weapon." He reassures me.

We continue studying, but it feels kind of awkward. I just met the weapon that's been ruining my chances of having friends for so many years and they told me my sister died...

"(Y/N)," He stops writing and places his hand on mine, "It's alright," I freeze up, letting my thoughts run around about how she might have gone. Kid wraps his arms around me and pulls me out of my chair onto his lap. I can't stop thinking about it, though.

"It's alright," He rubs my back and I start to cry. His arms keep me close to him and I finally hug him back. My tears soak his shirt, but he only pulls me in closer when it happens.

I spend another half an hour wrapped up in Kids arms before he brings me to my bed.

"Do you need anything? Water? Tissues?" He stands at the side of the bed while I lie down.

"I'm alright, I promise," It's just hard to process it all. My sister...

"You're not and I know it," He sits down next to me.

"(Y/N)."

I hate that he knows I need this. I throw my arms around him and start to cry again. My head lays in his lap. The poor boy listened to me sob all night.