Chapter 19: The Art Returns

The bell rang and we all cleaned up our stuff in the cafeteria. I head back to the classroom with the whole group, chattering amongst ourselves throughout the hallway.

"It's been a bit since we all hung out together,"

"Yeah, plus it's been a while since the last time I went rollerblading,"

"Ditto,"

The rest of them all laugh as I hang my head down and hold my hands together. I don't want to get involved with a group of friends if I'm just going to leave the school.

"What's wrong, bestie?" Patty leans over to me.

"Wrong? Nothings wrong!" I answer frantically.

"You seem to be staring a bit again," Liz wraps her arm around my shoulders. As I finally come back to reality I notice I'd been, yet again, staring at Kid. Only, this time, it was the back of him. I'm not sure if I was looking at his hair or below his backpack, but with how the Thompsons are giggling, I'm assuming it's the second one.

"(Y/n), you can sit next to us again," Kid offers. He peers around the room uncomfortably. "Just until you're feeling better, of course. I was just offering because maybe you still felt sort of fatigued after having rested for so long and-"

"Thank you," I tell him and sit back down.

The second half of our day is basic school curriculum. Normal math, science, and language classes that schools teach. I'm surprisingly good at what we're learning. While I didn't pay much attention in may classes at other schools because I knew I'd leave, I picked up i'm most of the idea of it and just needed a reminder. Kid, on the other hand, seemed to be struggling.

I lean over to him and point to his paper.

"You have to take the four away from both sides, it doesn't work right if you don't,"

He erases part of his work and rewrites it, now subtracting four from the left side of the equation as well.

I return to my paper and keep working on my problems, occasionally looking over to Kid to make sure he's still doing alright.

"How about we make a deal," Kid interrupts my math work.

"A deal?"

"Yes. I'll tutor you on everything you need you know about being a meister, souls, and that sort of stuff,"

"And I have to teach you the core subjects?"

"Precisely."

"Sounds kinda stupid,"

"Are you real-"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding. It sounds great. I mean, I am confused about a lot of it, so it would really help,"

"Oh good! I thought I was going to be awful at math forever," He jokes and I play along, "I dunno, man, you seem kinda bad at it, I don't think even I can help with that,"

"Why you little..." He shoves me lightly and turns back to his work with a slight smirk, and I do the same.

"Someone just scored," Liz leans and whispers into my ear.

"I would shove you but it's not like it's stopped you before," I roll my eyes and giggle. Liz nudges me once again and we both return to our work.

"(Y/n)," I hear someone behind me say my name. I tilt my chair back and lean my head all the way behind me.

"Yeah?" I notice it was Maka that called me.

"Sooo, because we all sorta know by now," She leans in close to my ear and whispers to me, "Can I show everyone the drawing now?" I lean my chair forward again and cross my arms. I respond facing. away from her, "Sure."

She hesitates, "Does that include Kid?"

"Absolutely not." I answer blatantly. Of course, Maka had to say that last part out loud, so Kid heard.

"What did I do now?" He turns on his chair. I avoid having to explain any of what's going on and just let Maka do what she wants, "Sure, that can include Kid." I exit the conversation and keep working on my paper. Kid looks around slightly confused, but seems to be satisfied that he's now included in what we had discussed. Lucky for me, class ends without her passing it around.

"I'll see you guys in class tomorrow," Stein tells us as we all pack up.

I hold out the notebook Kid lended me. It stays at his chest for a moment while he stares at my hands.

"I, uh, only needed it for today...if you want it back," I stutter.

"You can keep it, you know," Something about a notebook with his name on it being mine feels...I'm not sure what I feel...weird?

"Oh, thanks," I smile slightly and pull it to my chest.

I walk out of the class with Liz and Patty, but pause when I hear Maka chasing after us.

"Guys, guys! I've got the drawing we didn't get to see!" She runs up to the sisters, waving the paper in the air.

"Not here! Maka!" I jump for the paper to get it out of her hand, but she manages to keep it away from me.

They all laugh and chatter about it so I wait for them to finish and lean against the wall. I stare at the name on the front of my notebook and study the letters.

Death the Kid

Death the Kid! I look up to realize he's standing between the twins, viewing my drawing. I slump down to the floor and place the notebook on the ground next to me. What if he thinks I'm some sort of stalker drawing him this much? Especially after only knowing him one day! It's weird!

I can't believe I told Maka she was allowed to show him.