Chapter 35: Body

That night, Kid slept sitting up, leaning against the headboard. Of course, the girls tried to make comments about it, but we ignored them. We went to the Death Room during lunch again, and Kid finished telling me his story about the witch. I tutored him in math for the rest of the night, and then we spent some time making up with the Thompsons. Kid and I are the ones that apologize, even though the girls are definitely in the wrong. We didn't want Kid to have a difficult time on missions, so we wanted to make up with them and deal with the specifics later.

The next day was uneventful, Kid said we should take a day off from all the extra studying, so I just explored the manor for the afternoon. I danced around alone in the ballroom for a while with my headphones in. I slid down as many railings as possible. While on my way back to my room, I run into Kid. Ran into him...leaving the bathroom. After a shower. And when I say 'ran into', I mean 'ran into'.

He falls to the ground and grabs the white towel around his hips, making sure he's covered. Surprisingly enough, the boy has abs, but his arms are thin. His hip bones show right above the towel, and his ribcage is visible because of how small he is. The rest of his body is just as pale as his face...well...his face is pretty red at the moment.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to!" I turn away and cover my eyes. As if I didn't already stare at him for a whole minute.

He laughs, "It's alright," I hear his door open, and I take that as my queue to take my arm off my eyes.

"Just don't tell the girls this happened, we'll never hear the end of it," The boy laughs and rolls his eyes. As soon as his door closes, I cover my face and silently scream. Even his chest is symmetrical!

In my room, I lay down on my bed. I close my eyes and that scene replays in my head over and over. This stupid skinny symmetrical skater boy really is symmetrical and skinny. God, I wish he liked me the way I like him.

*****

The next day, we spend time physically training. Kid brings us to a large open room. Liz and Patty transform into their weapons, and Kid catches them. I summon my blades and balance myself of the ground, ready to fight.

"We're gonna work on your attacking first, do your blades still not cut or do I need to be prepared to call the paramedics?"

"We should test, right?"

"It's not a bad idea." Kid steps towards me and holds out his arm.

"Slice me," That was direct. I slide one blade against the edge of his arm, being careful.

"We're still alright, but I want to try something," Kid puts his arm down and steps closer, "Aster, can you hear me?"

"Yeah," The child calls in an echoey tone.

"Can I ask you to try and hurt me? I want to see if you're what's going to make a difference,"

"I guess I can try," Aster says from inside the daggers. I pull the knife against his arm again, and this time, I draw a little blood.

"Kid, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean-"

"It's alright, this way the whole point," He pulls a bandage out of his pocket and cleans up the cut. I cant believe I just sliced the guy I like.

"Aster, could you go back to...'not hurting' now?"

"Okay," Kid presses his finger agains the tip of my dagger to test if it worked. His hand falls through.

"We're ready, then," He steps a few feet back and holds out his arms, ready to defend himself, "Come at me with everything you've got, (Y/N)!"

I never trained for this!

I run at him, holding out both knives in front of me, I spin around to the side slightly before taking a swing at him. Kid tosses one of his guns into the air and grabs my wrist before it even gets close to him. His other hand catches the gun he previously tossed. He's so badass.

"I'm awaiting your next move," I just assumed since he stopped me, I lost, but I'm supposed to keep going.

My free hand takes a fake swing at him, so he lets go of my other one, which lets me attack him with that one. My fist punches him right in the stomach, which means I would've stabbed him without them being ghosts.

"Impressive, I didn't know you were at that level yet," Kid smiles.

"Don't count on it, I just got lucky,"

Every time I do something well or do something completely wrong, Kid explains it to me.

"That's exactly what you should do in a situation like that," or "Have you figured out where you went wrong yet?"

My best move the entire night was getting Liz away from him and into my hands, but Kid didn't like it.

"(Y/N)!" Kid dives towards me, dropping his own gun. He knocks Liz out of my hand and he falls on top of me on the ground. His hands hold my arms down to prevent me from grabbing anything.

"We talked about the dangers of incompatibility between a weapon and meister!" He leans on his forearms, "We haven't tested if it's safe for you to wield them yet," Kid sits back on his knees and his breath is heavy, "I don't want anything happening to you," He stands up without looking at me and grabs both guns off the ground. He walks further way from me and calls from across the room.

"You ready for another?" I look down at my knives, afraid that I might not be compatible enough with Aster.

"I'm gonna start fighting back this time,"

After that, I never won a single round.