Chapter 12: Do I? (Kid's POV)

When we arrive back, I'm still quite slow and uncoordinated in my movements. Both girls take notice of this. As they transform back to their regular bodies, they each have their hands on their hips.

Liz begins, "You're worried, aren't you?"

Isn't that obvious? Who wouldn't be? Someone passed out with no warning or explanation? It's not a very normal occurrence.

"Of course," I respond.

Patty picks up on Liz's queue, "You like them, don't you?"

Heat rises right up to my face when she accuses me.

"What? (Y/n)?" I respond fast and confused.

"Duh," Liz says as if there were no question.

"Why would you say that? They're new, I'm just concerned for them, that's all," My stomach twists with the interrogation.

"You say that like you hadn't been asking us for constant updates about our hangout with them," Liz states clearly.

"Again, it's just because they're new," That's what I thought anyway.

"You're allowed to crush on people you don't know well," Patty tells me like I'm dumb.

"Yeah, I think they're pretty cute," Liz adds.

"I don't have a crush on them!"

"You do," The Thompsons say in unison.

"Do I?" Of course I don't! I don't know why I asked! I know my own feelings, and I know them better than those girls would. It's like my symmetry issues. They try to explain it to people but they never get it just right. Sure, I think (y/n) is fun, and I'd like to befriend them. But just because they're attractive and funny and warm and...

"I do, don't I?"

"Uh-huh," Both girls reply.

Never have I been so ashamed of not knowing my own feelings. I'm not sure why exactly I do it, but I dash to my room. I close the door behind me and lean against it, breathing heavily. My heart beats faster than I've ever felt it do before. It it out of embarrassment for liking (y/n) or embarrassment from Liz and Patty figuring it out so fast?

Our issue from earlier finally hit me again. (Y/n) is hurt right now and there's nothing we can do. Just waiting for them to wake up.

What if they're out forever?

What if I never find out how I feel?

I sink down into the floor, with my back still to the door. My eyes gaze around the room, but don't really look at anything. My heart calms down and I finally realize just how oblivious I've been.

What if I never get to feel this again?