Chapter 27: The Mall

I get return to my seat in the classroom and pull out a notebook. As I begin to draw, the room gets louder while students enter. I sketch out ideas for what I want to wear to this weekend's party. Stein stands up and begins this afternoon's lecture. Not much happens, a lot of time passes with me continuing to doodle in the margins of my page. My phone in my pocket vibrates so I pull it out and hide it under my desk.

Death the Asymmetrical🥵
They won't stop asking about it. Plus they asked about the clothes

Kid turns around in his chair and gives me an 'I need help' sort of look. Liz says something to him and everyone around them laughs. He scratches his neck and turns back to his desk. Maka leans across her desk and seems to tease him more. As soon as the bell rings, he jumps right out of his seat and steps away from the teasing. I shove everything into my bag quickly and climb down the stairs to meet up with him.

"What did you even tell them about the clothes?"

He peeks around my head to see if anyone would be listening, "I don't know, I think I said mine got wrinkled and asymmetrical so I had to change," That's the most creative thing he's said since I met him.

"It makes sense, so I don't think they'll be super suspicious about it," I reassure him.

Liz, along with the whole group, comes up to us and puts her ands around our shoulders, "Looks like we've got ourselves a pair of nonvirgins," She jests and I pull away.

"Okay, I get that it was kinda funny to joke about, but for it to go on this long after knowing it didn't happen-"

"How are we supposed to know it didn't happen?" She looks down at me.

"Sorry I didn't take photos while I was having a panic attack about passing out alone?" The sarcasm seeps out of my mouth and I start getting rude. With how stressed I am about the situation, I get pretty close to breaking character and forgetting the story.

"I wasn't getting pictures while he was freaking out about his...asymmetry...either," I look into her eyes, "I'm not sure what kind of 'evidence' you want, but I don't have anything," I turn and walk away, trying to avoid the situation escalating. If I'm going to spend the afternoon with them, I don't want to snap now. I stand in the hallway and focus on my breath to calm down. I walk down the hallway and trace the walls.

"(Y/n), wait!" Liz's voice calls after me. I don't bother to stop walking, but I don't try to get away from her either. Once she finally catches up, she stands directly in front of me.

"I'm sorry," She looks into my eyes again, "Especially after we talked about the teasing," She looks around her, "I just like making fun of Kid for it, so I'm sorry that I do it to you too," I smile to show her that I've accepted her apology.

"Thanks," I slide my hands into my pockets and add on, "You better stick to your promise tonight while we're out," She sends a smile my way as well and we walk back to the classroom to meet up with Patty and Kid to leave. When we return, everyone else has already left and is on their way home.

"Are the two of you ready?" Kid asks us and picks up his backpack.

"Yeah," We both respond. He leads us out of the building and once Beelzebub arrives he turns to me.

"(Y/n), I'm going to need you to carry Liz and Patty," He turns to the two of them and they transform into guns, "Your pockets are too shallow for them to stay secure," He explains.

Kid holds out the guns and I take hold of them. He pulls me onto the skateboard and I wrap my arms around him with the guns in hand. This time, being on the board together feels less tense. It's probably because I know Liz and Patty are here, but I don't know if they can hear or even see when they're in this form. Just because I said it was 'less tense', doesn't mean it isn't. His hand shifts around my back all too often, and he keeps looking at me. Luckily for both us, the trip doesn't last long, and we land in front of a large mall that looks similar to all the other buildings in Death City.