Chapter 5: Symmetry

I'm still about 10 minutes early, so we're the only ones in the classroom.

"Do you have anything that lists your seat number for class?" Kid asks me.

"I don't think so." I scroll through messages in my phone in the hopes of finding something, then shake my head.

Kid claps his hands together and straightens his back. "Then we should go find out. Dr. Stein has to have something about it in here somewhere."

The boy walks over to what seems to be the teacher's desk and looks around without touching anything. He looks up and says "Don't tell my father about this," and begins moving papers around, looking for any sort of information. He strolls in front of the desk and leans on it, his hands behind him holding him up.

"I'm not surprised that he doesn't have anything," Liz rolls her eyes.

Great. Apparently I've got an unorganized teacher.
"No one sits up there!" Patty points all the way to the corner of the room.

"I'm pretty sure that whole table is free." Liz adds.
Oh, thank god. I get to be in the back? And no one else is there? Maybe I won't get kicked out as soon as I thought...?

"Well, (y/n), you're in the E.A.T. Class for a reason, are you a weapon or a meister?" Kid asks me the same question his dad did. At least this time I think I know the answer.

"I'm pretty sure Lord Death said I was a meister, but I'm not really sure what that means..."

Kid takes a moment to reply, "Do you have a partner?"

Do I what?! Is he trying to ask me out or something? I mean, I guess he's sort of attractive, but I don't think I'd be very interested in the principal's son. I just learned his name five minutes ago, why would he be ask-

"I think meant a weapon partner..." Liz jokes as I try and calm the redness of my face.

"Weapon...partner?" I ask.

"Do you not have a weapon?" Kid questions. "That could be why I wasn't notified about you joining..."

"I have one..." I usually get nervous bringing them up. Even though it's a normal thing here, I still feel weird about it.

"Did they come with you?" Patty leans in.

I hold my hands out and wait for them to come up. As I clench my fists, they show up, shocking the three of them.

"How did-" Liz begins to talk, but turns to Kid instead.

Kid stares at the blades in my hand.

"Is something wro-"

"The way they hold the blades. The shape of each one of them. The point of the dagger directly in the center,"

Liz sighs.

"It's perfectly symmetrical! How did you manage such uniformity in your weapons?"

He tries to grab the blade from my right hand but he can't. It falls and drops to the ground. I lean down and pick it up, "sorry, they do that sometimes...ha..ha..."

He instead grabs my hand with both of his and analyzes it from there. I get a little nervous, my chest feels tighter. I think it's just because no one's even gotten this close to me because of them, and now he wants to see them.

I'm not sure how it fit, but Kid pulls out a ruler from the right pocket of his pants and begins measuring the knife.

"Sorry," Liz apologizes, "Kid has this thing with symmetry. You'll get used to it." I nod my head as if I understand, but I don't.

The striped boy scurries around with excitement and tries to touch the tip of the blade, but passes through.

"If you like symmetry so much, why do you have those stripes in your hair?" Liz shakes her head at me to stop talking, but I hadn't noticed.
Kid drops his ruler and falls to the ground.

"I KNOW! IT'S HIDEOUS! I'M AN ABSOLUTE PIECE OF GARBAGE! IT'S SHAMEFUL TO BE NEAR ME, WHAT AN UNSYMMETRICAL PIECE OF DAMNED GARBAGE!"

Liz crouches down, she places a hand on his back to comfort him. "Kid, it's alright, they didn't mean to-"

"Is that the first thing everyone notices about me?"

He seems shaky and uncertain about himself.
I sit down, cross my legs, and look him in the eye. I'm not sure what his issue is, but I feel bad not helping, "I'm sorry for pointing it out, I didn't realize it was something you disliked. If I can make you feel any better about it, I would love to try," I begin to list the positives of the streaks in his hair, "They're very clean lines, though. Technically they are symmetrical on their own, especially from the side."

His breath seems a little more stable, so I decide to wrap it up, "I also think the contrast adds a very nice balance to your look, and with Liz standing on your right, it helps balance out the height difference between her and Patty."

Patty claps at what I had just said, and Liz looks up to me, puzzled. Kid seems to have calmed, and just in time. Three other students walk in, one with white hair, one with pink, and one with pigtails. Kid picks himself up off the ground and the sisters follow him to their seats. I climb the stairs over to the corner they had pointed to, and sit in the middle of the large curved table.