Chapter 14: That got me thinking...

(a/n: We are back to your POV)

Something about this is so comforting. Kid's smiling face so close to mine, the warmth of his hand as I thank him for his kindness. It honestly makes me feel welcomed. I stare at him for a bit longer, zoning out about what had happened. I remember the drawings.

"Where's Maka?!" I yell. He gets scared at my sudden burst, but I can't risk people seeing that. Especially him! I don't want him to get the wrong idea. I push myself up and toss my legs off of the bed, but they're stopped before I hop down.

"Oh no you don't," Kid says. "You've been bedridden for 6 days, walking is gonna be a little harder than you thought." His right hand grips my ankles, and I can feel it throughout myself. I think it's because I've been out so long that any sort of touch feels weird.

I flex my feet and roll my ankles in circles to try and see what he's talking about. I do feel pretty sore now that I think about it.

"I can take you to Maka or bring her here," Kid offers, holding his hand out to help me get down. I'd prefer he brings her here so no one else has to hear it but, I kinda want him to walk me. Not for any weird reason! I just want to finally stretch out my legs is all. I'm gonna need help walking around for a bit, so I should get used to it now.

I place my hand in his as my feet fall to the floor. Standing up is actually harder than I thought. He notices my struggle and moves his right arm around my waist and puts my arm over his shoulder instead.

"Does this help?" He looks at me and our eyes meet. The feeling of his hand lingers throughout me and I don't look away.

"Y-yeah. A little." I stutter and look away. He pulls me closer into him as we start moving towards the door.

"Good luck with that, (Y/n), if you have any issues in class, be sure to let me know," Stein says without even looking up.

Kid opens the door for me and leads me through the school to our classroom. We're the only ones in here right now.

"I saw Maka in here just a minute ago...where did she run off to?" Kid loosens his grip around me and looks around.

"I can stay here if you want to go look for her," I offer, "In case she comes back."

"I'll send her here if I find her. For now, I want you to sit down." He leads me up only one step instead of my usual 5. He places me into his seat instead of making me go all the way up to mine. I look at him questioningly.

"Don't think I was going to make you walk all the way up there after you've been asleep for a week," He looks me in the eye and puts his hands on each of my shoulders, "Plus you'll have better access to the door if you need to leave, and Stein if you need medical attention."

Did he think this through? I guess he's had six whole days to think about it but still. What a nice guy. He must be so nice to other new students.

His hands stay on my shoulders a little longer than expected. He slides them down an inch before I finally remind him he's alive.

"Um...Kid? You can go look for her now..." I look away.

He quickly pulls his hands off my shoulders and apologizes. He walks out of the classroom and waves a small goodbye.

I sit here fiddling with my thumbs thinking about what happened while he's out looking.

I passed out at a party? I probably killed the whole vibe. What an awful impression to make on my first day. At least I won't be here long.

I take a moment to think about Kid, too. Did he see the drawings? If I passed out, there was no way of knowing they didn't show it to everyone in school. They're all gonna think I like him or something and the only friend I might have here will think I'm weird.

I throw my face into my hands and rest my elbows on the table.