Chapter 11: Hurt (Kid's POV)

Somehow, Liz and Patty had already figured it out. I thought I was being super sly about it too. Apparently, I had been "too nice" to (y/n), and looked in their direction a few too many times.

I guess (y/n) is attractive, but I don't think I really like them. Sure, they're symmetrical and all, but there's still more to a person than that. Even I know that.

Still, Liz and Patty both continued to text me about the whole night they spent with (y/n). Even though I don't like them like that, I still appreciated getting to know a little bit about (y/n) from them without having to even be there.

However, our chat didn't stay happy the whole night.

Liz: They're about to come back with the dare lol

Patty: I wanna know whooooo

Kid: Don't make it obvious that you told someone about it.

Kid: Did the dare happen?

Kid: Girls?

Liz: We'll call you once we know what's going on

Now I'm worried. Obviously something has happened and they can't tell me about it at the moment. Is it because it would be awkward to message someone in the middle of the game, because I understand that. Is it because of an emergency and they have to tend to something else before I can know. Do they just not want me to know?

I push my homework to the side and stare at my phone waiting for a text. My pen rolls around in my hand for 20 more minutes before they even bother to message me again.

Liz: We can call you but I think it's better if you meet us at the school

Patty: Nurse office

Nurse? How did someone get hurt? Did they make (y/n) do an awful dare?

I get on Beelzebub and rush as fast as I can to the school and the nurse. I throw the door open, hoping it's not a serious issue. (Y/n) is on the bed, completely unconscious.

"We weren't sure what happened," Maka starts, "But this was the closest place to the dorms so we brought them here so Stein could help,"

"What do you mean, 'you don't know what happened'?" I say.

"Well," Maka begins again.

"They passed out," Liz said blatantly.

"No warning," Patty adds.

"(Y/n) sort of froze in the doorway," Soul continues.

Something in my chest feels sharp. I don't know why, but I'm really afraid. Maybe it's just the fact that my father is the principal and (y/n) is a student. I really an quite worried. Will they wake up? If so, when?

Dr. Stein cuts off my thoughts, "I promise I'll keep (y/n) as safe as I can until they wake up.  You kids can head home, I can relay some more information about their condition after classes tomorrow." He shoos us out of the room, but my feet don't want to leave.

"Kid," He looks me up and down, "I'm sure you think you can help, but (y/n) is out cold. There's not much to do at the moment."

I still can't move. I want to cry. He made it so obvious. There's nothing I can do to help. It's like running a race with no legs. Normally I can help bandage people up after fights or provide normal first aid, but there's nothing I can do here. There wasn't a fight, it just happened.

"Kid, let Stein do his job," Liz pulls me out of the room, but I'm still not quite ready to walk on my own.

They transform into weapon mode and I fly them home on my skateboard. It's silent and uncomfortable. Even the wind feels how awkward it is. Normally I'll talk the whole way home from school, but it's just different when someone gets hurt.