Chapter 21: Skateboard

(a/n: We are back to your POV)

Classes were surprisingly uneventful on Tuesday and today. I sat in my own chair all the way at the top of the classroom practically alone. I took notes on everything Stein said because I had no idea what was actually relevant and what was unimportant. Lunch went by quickly, the Thompson's teased me a bit, and Maka passed the paper around a little more. At this point, I didn't care about the drawing, he had already seen it, so it wasn't something to hide anymore. I did fine in the second half of our class, but even from here I could tell Kid was struggling. The way he awkwardly scratches his neck when he's unsure, the way he leans in when he's intensely focused, the way he sighs when he can't figure something out, they're all so obvious that I'm surprised no one else tried to help him.

Class ends and everyone packs up, the group who was heading to the roller rink congregates in the front of the classroom by the board. Maka, Soul, Crona, Tsubaki, Black*Star, Liz, Patty, and Kid all stand there laughing amongst themselves. I hop down each of the steps while stringing my arms through the straps of my backpack.

Liz nudges Kid and he turns away from his conversation with Patty.

"Hey, uh, what's up?" He stutters to me. 'What's up' sounds so casual for him.

"'Sup," I throw up a peace sign awkwardly and look down slightly.

"Well, now that we're all here," Kid looks around to check that he's correct, "We can leave," Everyone agrees and starts to walk out of the room and continues their conversations as they strut through the hall.

"Are we just gonna take our bags and stuff? Like, I don't really need my schoolwork," I ask the group.

"I can grab Beelzebub and run you over to your dorm if you'd like to drop it off," Kid offers. Liz and Patty whisper to each other, probably because they know all about about the drawings now.

"Oh, uh, we don't need to take the time to-"

"(Y/n), it's pretty close to the school, we'll honestly get there faster on Beelzebub than the rest of the group can walk,"

"Well, then...I guess, uh..." Why am I stuttering so much? It's just a skateboard. Alone. Together. Just...one...small...skateboard...holding onto him...

fuck.

As we step outside, I see Beelzebub arrive. Kid walks over to it and stands with one foot on top, waiting for me. He takes my hand and pulls me up. The striped skater slides his backpack off of his right arm, ruining its symmetry so I can grab on. I slide my arms under his and hover them, trying to avoid touching him awkwardly.

"You're going to want to hold on tighter than that," He turns his head slightly and looks back at me with a smirk. I clasp my hands together, wrap my arms tighter around his small waist, and pull myself in towards him. My heart beats fast with my chest against his back like this.

"Ready?" He asks as if my answer would ever be 'yes'.

"Sure?" I say and we take off. My grip around him tightens as I look down to the ground so far below us. I didn't think my heart could beat any faster, but I was wrong. I see the group on the sidewalk making their way to the roller rink. I look up and take note of the beauty of the sky, the clouds align so nicely with the sun, perfectly balanced on either side. It's not as nice as the way his hair moves in the wind, though. It's as if each individual strand on that head is cut to exactly the same length. His stripes get tangled in the mess of black, making them look significantly more natural on him.

I finally get used to being in the sky and lean in a little closer to him, my head fits perfectly in the crook of his neck. I can hear his heartbeat grow faster as mine slows. I slide my hands softly up and down his waist, being careful not to let go and lose my grip. I trace the shape of him, learning the angle of his hips compared to his slim middle. I feel his neck swallow and his breaths get shallower. My hand slides underneath his thin suit jacket and finds his suspenders holding up his pants. I glide two of my fingers underneath the strap on his right side and admire the texture as my fingers move up and down the elastic band. I pull my hand out and reset myself, wrapping my arms around his waist tightly once again and placing myself right against his sleek body. His presence warms me and I close my eyes. Our hair tangled in the wind and I enjoy every second I have left of this moment.