Memories of a Hated War

Rex's POV (Except you are there as well)

   I sat in my bunk on Chopper Base. Sleep had been tough to come by, since Ahsoka died to the Sith Lord on Malacor. Everytime I closed my eyes I would see the days that I wish to forget. They were the days I wanted back. The memories associated with the Clone Wars in the beginning. When I was assigned to General Skywalker I had heard of his reputation. I had been cautious of him at first, but something about him was different from the Kaminoans. He referred to me by the name I chose and not my CT number for one. I reached into my trunk and pulled out a picture from it. I turned it on and was greeted by the picture of Anakin, Ahsoka, (Y/n), and myself. Anakin had just cracked the worst joke I had ever heard, causing Ahsoka to cast him a questioning look. I on the other hand had to cover my mouth to stop the loud laugh from erupting from me... And (Y/n) had clutched onto my shoulder to keep herself from falling over out of laughter. Her face a bright red and she clutched her sides, because of how hard she was laughing. I smiled sadly at the picture in my hands. I remembered far too quickly that I was the only one left alive out of the group. Anakin was killed during the order, Ahsoka died not too long ago, and (Y/n)... My sweet, sweet (Y/n) disappeared in the wreckage of the Resolute. Everyone I once knew and loved gone. A knock on my door brought me out of my thoughts.
   "Come in." I responded to the knock.
   "Hey." I looked up at Kanan. "What you got there?" He came and sat next to me looking at the picture.
   "Oh just... Just a memory." I tried to keep my voice level, but it broke when I finished my sentence. Soon the tears I held back for so long flooded down my cheeks.
   "The war took its toll on all of us. Left scars behind that we can't ever get rid of." He looked at the picture again. "Ahsoka looked so young in that picture." I looked at her image.
   "Yeah. She was only 15 when this was taken. You can't tell from it, but she had almost died a couple weeks before hand. The blue shadow virus nearly got all of us down in that lab." Kanan put a comforting hand on my shoulder.
   "She was strong. So are you Rex. Don't forget that." He continued looking at the picture. (Kanan never lost his sight in this one) "Who is that? I mean I recognize Master Skywalker, but I don't recognize her." I ran my finger over her image.
   "Her name was General (Y/n) Skywalker, Anakin's twin sister. I guess the Council didn't have the heart to separate them. They trained together, fought together, and they never separated from eachother... Until the Siege of Mandalore. (Y/n) opted to stay with the 501st when the Chancellor was kidnapped. Said Anakin had enough help from General Kenobi. She... She went down with the Resolute when it crashed." I finally looked up at Kanan. "I had her in my arms one minute, and the next she was gone. Off protecting Ahsoka and I as usual. Never wanted to anything to happen to us."
   "She sounded brave. Like someone that I would want to be, and like someone I want Ezra to become." I smiled at his words.
   "I see her in you and Ezra everyday... And that is what terrifies me. I don't want to lose anyone else before the end of this war." I set the picture down so it was propped up on my nightstand. "She would've hated it here." I chuckled dryly.
   "Why?" Kanan questioned my words.
   "Would've reminded her too much of Tatooine. Hers and Anakins home planet. She always said it was too hot there, and the sand got everywhere. She hated sand. So much so that it was comical watching her after we went to Genosia. Constantly going on about "The kriffing sand.""
   "You loved her?" He held almost a childlike look in his eyes.
   "We had plans to disappear after the war. I met a deserter on Saleucami once, and that was where we planned on going. W-When the order was given she was not on the bridge thankfully. However Ahsoka was and she witnessed my inhibitor chip take over. I couldn't control myself... I couldn't stop myself from-from trying to shoot her. Luckily she escaped and she was able to separate me from my brothers then removed my chip." I ran my fingers over the scar on my head where the chip was removed from.
   "Have you tried finding out if she was able to escape? I mean I could probably try to zero in on her life force... If I knew what it felt like." I looked at him solemnly.
   "I don't know if that-" He looked at me desperately showing he wanted to try to help me. "Her smile was like a warm ray of sunshine on a snowy day." I started to think of how I felt when I was near her. "Her presence demanded respect and exuded authority. She made everyone around her feel safe even when we were in the most desperate situations. If you had ever met Anakin it was like being in the presence of a female version of him. They were so alike in so many ways that it was terrifying sometimes." I looked to Kanan and he had his eyes closed in what I assume to be meditation. His eyes fluttered open after a few minutes.
   "I felt something close to what you described, but it felt different. Pained, scarred, and tortured. It almost hurt to feel that presence." A hurried knocking came on my door, and it opened quickly after. Hera ran in quickly.
   "Good you're both here! We just received a distress signal from the code you gave us Kanan. You'll want to hear this. Both of you." Kanan and I looked at eachother then ran to the war room. The image of a hooded figure came up.
   "Whoever it is that just reached out to me... That was dangerous. You're lucky that I think I was the only one who could feel you. My squad and I are enroute to your location... Well what I hope is your location. If you receive this transmission send coordinates if you wish to convene at a different location. Fulcrum out." The voice was distorted, and the shape unable to be identified. Everyone was silent for a while.
   "This person is obviously reaching out to me. I will send a different set of coordinates and rendezvous with them." Kanan was quickly cut off by Ezra.
   "If you're going then I am too." He crossed his arms in a show of defiance. I shook my head.
   "This is sketchy. I'm going as well. "I think that it would be a bad idea for more than the three of us to go. I-I can't risk anymore than that." Refusing to hear objections I left the room to grab my gear. I picked up the picture once more. "If this is a trap to make us think this is you... My love please make sure the others make it back. I think it's about time that I join you if that is the will for me." I swiped my finger on the screen  as if to touch the people of my past. However the picture moved to another one. My hand went to my mouth in surprise. I forgot that I had this one as well. A picture of her and I on the mission to Uatpau. Fives had snapped it during one of our rare downtime's. I held her one of her lightsabers as she taught me to use it. Anytime we got into a pinch she would toss one to me after that. I'm still not sure if it was to make sure I could defend myself up close, or to keep if something happened to her. I turned to my trunk again this time pulling out the curved hilt that was her lightsaber. My door opened with no courtesy knock. I turned my attention to who walked in. Ezra and Kanan stood there staring me.
   "Can I help you?" I asked tentatively.
   "Where did you get that, Rex?" Ezra asked pointing at the lightsaber. He seemed to take notice of the picture on my nightstand.
   "I don't want to talk about it." I tucked the lightsaber onto the clip that I still had on my belt. "So are we going or not?" They turned and we headed to the Phantom 2. Once inside Kanan took the controls and Ezra sat across from me. I nervously shook my leg as we took off.