Requited Thoughts {19}

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

*Ten Years Later*

The man sits against the trunk of a tree ways away from his team and messes with the ring on the simple link around his neck, slipping it down his left ring finger.

I wonder what would have happened with us.

That's a very common thought he has. The girl he was hopelessly in love with as a teen. He used to do anything to simply see her smile. That sweet, sweet smile made him warm all around his body.

But he hasn't seen that smile in ten years.

At night, all he thinks about is her. She's his moon. The night is dark, but if she were there, he knows it would be lighter. Nothing lurks in the shadows if she's near.

But she isn't near. Therefor, the dark is full of attacks, evils, and monsters.

He hardly blinks his eye and examines how the ring fits his finger almost perfectly. Her sixteen year old self is always in his head. Her smile, her laugh, her scent, her everything.

So why did they choose her to die? Out of all people, why her? She may have held something unnatural, something secret, but that was no excuse to send her out on a suicide mission.

To the man, he will never forgive the village for what they've done. It's their fault she's dead. They ripped her life from her, deeming her as nothing more than a weapon.

A literal weapon.

He just misses her more than anything. All he wants is her. He wants her back.

But it's impossible.

——————

You sit against the trunk of a tree and pull out your necklace with an old, familiar ring, sliding it down your bandaged left ring finger and looking at it.

I wonder what might have happened with us.

That's a very common thought you have. The boy you loved when you were a teenager, you find yourself thinking of him often, wondering if he held the same feelings you did. Or what he may be doing right now.

Is he even alive?

But that love is faded now. It's been ten years, you can't really blame a girl, can you? That's why you don't care for his well-being anymore. He could be dead, and you simply couldn't care less.

But then why do you still hold onto the ring? Surely you would have thrown it out if you don't care about him anymore. It was just puppy love anyways. So why is it still around your neck? Why do you still slide it down your finger?

Truthfully, that's a question you don't have an answer to. And one you don't ponder on.

The cool night air blasts onto your skin and you shiver, adjusting your red and black cloak.