Stars {38}

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

The night air rushes past both of your bodies as you lay opposing ways on the spray painted rooftop, staring at the moon. It's about two in the morning, so there's a very likely chance that you two are the only people awake in the entire village.

The sky above is glittered with shimmering stars, all different shades of white. But if they're white, why are they drawn yellow on sheets of paper? We're all taught from a young age that stars are yellow, right? But why, when you look up, do they look white?

Sure, you can say it's because the sun is yellow, but that's not quite true. If you were to float around in space and look at the sun, it is white, but on Earth, the atmosphere changes it to make it appear yellow to the human eye. Almost as a filter.

But if we know this, why do we still call stars yellow? That's not what they are. They're white. It's almost like... we've called them yellow for so long that there's no point in trying to persuade others to be correct, to call them by their actual color.

But that doesn't matter, because nobody actually cares. Nobody cares about the color of a star, because it's still a star. It could be red, yellow, green, purple, yet people will still call it a star and be amazed by it, loving the balls of light in space that are so foreign to humankind.

And yet, that's not how it is with people.

If the simple pigment of your skin is different than someone else's, there's automatically a separation. White, Black, Australoid, Asian. Those words may seem necessary, but not in the way people use them.

They're used to identify you, allowing you to be proud of yourself and be who you are. And yet, humans have spat upon others for it. If one is darker than the other, so be it. The pigment of your skin does not define your status.

So don't let others define it for you.

Everyone has skin. But everyone also has a heart. A brain. A stomach. A pancreas. A set of lungs. So, if everyone is physically the same inside, why shun or disrespect others for what's outside.