He's Not a Monster

America's POV:

It's the first day I'm allowed back in school since I got suspended. I got a text on my phone and looked at it. It was Russia.

"Hey comrade wanna meet me at the front of the school?" It said.

"Sure!!!!" I replied.

I'm so glad I can actually talk to him now and not worry about him beating me up every day. It was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I walk over to the tall boy who had put the bandages back on his arms. Most days he would be scowling at everyone who walked by him but today he seemed way more content. He actually seemed happy to see me.

"Hey Ruski!!!!!"

"Hey there you..........." He smirked.

We walked together to our first period class which was Astronomy. This is actually one of the few classes I like because it was interesting and I could actually understand it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that Russia was in it.............but now that we've made up that's not a problem and the class just got even better. We walked in and I sat down at my table with Germany and Poland. Russia sat down at the opposite side of the room. The teacher knew Russia didn't get along with us so she strategically placed us like this. Poland and Germany had been best friends since like forever........even when Germany's father was still around. I sat with them by choice because they were my friends too.

"Hey nice to see you back Ame!!!!" Germany greeted me. "I........heard Russia had to tutor you. You okay?" I noticed Poland froze up a little upon hearing Russia's name.

"Actually, funny thing is..........." I noticed the teacher was about to start class. "Eh I'll tell you at lunch." Soon after the teacher greeted the class.

"Today we are going to be talking about colonization and terraformation. As you may have heard in the news the company SpacEx plans to send a million countries to Mars by 2050. That means in just a few years we may be able to send skilled workers and explorers to begin construction on the first stellar city. Some of those countries could even be in this class right here."

As I was jotting down notes (and doodling a spaceship in the margins) I couldn't help but notice that Russia had a smug look on his face. I smiled back at him.

"Now what are some basic necessities to contain a country in a stable and livable environment?"

Poland and Germany both raised their hands but so did Russia.

"Russia? You want to answer?"

"Well first off you need air to breathe and a stabilized pressure or your blood will ooze out of your body and you'll suffocate. And you need to grow plants for food or you'll starve and die." Russia answered.

"A bit morbid but yes you're right!" Did he have a passion for this kind of stuff? He's always been in this class but he's never really answered. There's so much about him I don't know and that makes me want to hang out with him even more. I listened to the lesson a bit more until the teacher announced something.

"For the final assessment in this class you have a group project." Some countries in the class groaned. I would have too because normally I hate group assignments but I had friends in this class so it wouldn't be that bad. "The project will be to design ideas for a bio dome for the future citizens of Mars to live in. You will be doing this assignment with the countries at your table." I already had some cool ideas for this. But I felt bad for Russia since he just had a desk by himself and wasn't in a group.

Just as I was thinking that the teacher stared at Russia's desk almost as if she was thinking "Hmmmm, what should I do with you." Every other table was a group of four and mine was a group of three. Just then the bell rang and we were free to go. We all left the classroom and I walked with Russia.

"Hey Russ I think you should hang out with me at lunch!!!!!!"

"I would but I think everyone hates me..........." He mumbled.

"I'll explain to them." I replied. "If they still don't trust you I'll sort it out."

"I guess..........." I could tell he was a bit nervous so I grabbed his arm and got a little closer to him. That seemed to make him feel a little better.

*Russia's POV*

I decided to go to America's table like he asked me to. I looked at all of his friends. Just a few days ago I called them all annoying capitalists. Maybe annoying wasn't the right word..........dumb.........no...........I was beginning to rethink everything I've learned. I've never even had much of a problem with any of these countries. It's just my "friend" North Korea convinced me that putting other countries made him feel better and boosted his ego. And for a while I believed it. He considered me a friend but I only saw him as an acquaintance. I only kept him around because he made me feel more intimidating. But sometimes I think he even went a little to far. But calling someone a weak nerd really didn't get rid of my pain. It only masked it temporarily. It just made me more annoyed when he dragged me around everywhere.

I sat myself down right next to America. Poland was on the other side of me and he was scooting away from me. Gee, was I THAT intimidating? Germany, South Korea, and Japan shot some strange looks at me.

"What's HE doing here?" Germany scoffed.

"Actually I meant to tell you earlier but me and Russia are friends now!!!!!!" Ame answered. All the other countries gasped in shock.

"I thought you two hate each other............." South Korea mumbled.

"I know he might be a bit intimidating at first but trust me he's not so bad once you get to know him." Ame told all the other countries who just looked at me blankly. I looked at Poland next to me who shifted to the other side of the table now.

"You're hilarious Ame!!!!!!" Japan laughed.

Wow, they really hated me that much didn't they. And I had no one to blame but myself for all this. I felt awful. My heart sank all the way down to my chest and..........oh no here come the emotions again. I instinctively jolted out of my seat and began to rush to the bathroom. The only place I belonged. Crying on the cold hard floor.

"Russ no!!!!!"

A familiar pair of arms wrapped around me and dragged me back down to the table.

"I promise you he's not what you think!!!!! He's not a monster!!!!!"

I sat back down and decided I should say something.

"Look guys, I'm sorry I behaved the way I did around you guys. I only did it because I was quite insecure of myself and I didn't know how to act. Hanging out with Ame made me realize that was not a good thing to do and I'll admit........maybe I was a little jealous. I get it if you still hate me but-"

"Nah, you're cool." Germany replied. "You realized your mistake and that's what matters."

"Wait really?"

"Yeah, we cool." South Korea added.

Poland looked at me with sadness. He was one of the ones I picked on the most.

"Do you mean it?" He asked me.

"Yeah." I reached out my hand to shake it. His hand was pretty small compared to mine but he seemed a lot happier now. I looked behind me and saw Canada smiling and winking at me and Ame. I looked to the other side of me and-

"There you are!!!!!" North Korea yelled at me. "Are you trying to roast the pigs again without me!?!?!?"

"They're not pigs!!!!!" I stood up to him. North froze in shock.

"Yes they are they're disgusting filthy money hoarding pigs!!!!!!!!"

"I don't see any pig noses. Or money." I retaliated. "Look dude I only picked on them because you told me to and I'm sick of being your toy!!!!!" I got really close to him and nearly spat in his face.

I watched as the smaller country backed away in fear. Okay, maybe yelling at some countries did feel satisfying. But only SOME countries.