Gulag

By the time the ambulance arrived, it was too late. My dad was declared dead the moment they got there. He had lost too much blood and due to the location of the wound he would've been unlikely to survive anyways. But there was that what if. What if I got there just a bit sooner? What if I left right when I felt something was wrong? What if I went with him to the store and defended him? I blamed myself for my dad's death. Not the man that killed him, myself.

I sat next to my brother and sister at the front seat at the funeral. My dad's arms were crossed and holding his hammer and sickle so you couldn't even see the bullet wound. He just looked like he was peacefully sleeping. Several tears began to flow down my face. My siblings tried to comfort me but it was to no avail. My dad always told me to be tough and hold back my tears even when times got hard. I was not holding back my tears. I was not being tough.

"I'm so sorry Ruski." I heard a voice come from behind me. I turned around and it was my half brother Kazakhstan. He was one of those rectangular countries and really the only one of my half siblings I hung out with.

"Hic........he was.........he was............" I could barely talk through my crying but I had to stop since the sermon was starting. Bel quickly handed me her handkerchief and I quickly buried my face in it. I hated when other countries saw me like this.

"Today we say goodbye to the USSR, loving father..................." I could barely pay attention through how much I was trying to remain silent. A couple of countries came up to give speeches.

"I barely knew my dad.............." Kazakhstan mumbled. "But I wish I knew him more. He sounded like a very strong and very tough man. Some of my dad's comrades stood up and saluted. A few minutes later Ukraine went.

"I know my dad wasn't perfect but I do thank him for his strength and for raising me and my siblings. I know he didn't push me into nuclear waste on purpose anyways." Oh yeah, that happened while we were on a hunting trip. I ended up sneaking off road and I brought Bel and Ukraine into it. I decided it would be a good idea to explore an abandoned nuclear power plant. Dad found out and he chased after us. He yanked me and Bel and started screaming and he pushed Ukraine. He didn't realize there was a barrel of nuclear waste and Ukraine fell into it. A wing radiated out of his back and he had to be rushed to the hospital. My dad was not happy with the medical bill.

Belarus went next and said a few words and then it was my turn to go. I tried to speak but no words came out of my mouth. Only tears. But eventually I managed to speak.

"Dad was...........the only country that ever really cared for me. He helped me through so many things and helped me defeat my enemies. Dad was awesome. Dad was............my comrade. Why!?!?!?!? Why did he have to leave so soon!?!?!!?" If I was his oldest son then why was I crying the most!?!?!?! Was I really that weak!?!?!? I know my other siblings weren't as fond of dad..........but still.

Eventually everyone was done their speeches and the coffin was about to close.

"Wait!!!!!!!!!" Babushka shouted, running as fast as an old lady could. Then she stopped at me. "I was going through Soviet's journals. I found one entry that said when Russia got old enough...............he was going to give him this." She took my dad's favorite ushanka off of his head and placed it on mine. It was a little big on me but it's warmth comforted me. I always loved that hat. Sometimes dad would place it on my head or I would take it from him. But I didn't know he wanted me to have it. "We were going to bury him in it.............but something tells me he wanted this more." For the first time in hours my tears stopped flowing. It made me so warm inside and I decided I was never gonna take it off.