Chapter Two- Mistakes and Murder

King Simon's POV-

I was sitting at one of the desks in the middle of the library, writing on a parchment of paper by candle light. It was early when I woke this morning, but sleep evaded me due to my excitement for my sons.

Dear Paul,

I would like you, and two of you finest men, to go to the florist's household and seek the daughter, my sons have taken a particular interest in her, so be too kind and make a formal event of it.

Yours sincerely,

King Simon.

I rolled the note up into a scroll, deeming it brief, yet not too personal, and passed it to a servant named Caroline as she walked past the library doors.

"Can you please take this to Paul in the soldier chambers?" I asked, smiling.

Caroline nodded. "Most certainly your majesty, will there be anything else this morning?" I shook my head, before she continued down the hall.

I returned to my spot at the desk in the library, when a lightning bolt brightened the sky, outside the window to my right. Beyond the stained glass was a dark swarm of clouds heading towards the kingdom and I gave it a wary glance.

I wonder if it'll started raining while Paul is out...?

Shrugging, I grabbed a book off of the grand bookcase to my left, and began reading it. Everything is falling into place perfectly...

-

Beka's POV-

Again, the church bells woke me up early in the next morning. Today I was incredibly tired, and it looked like it was threatening to rain. I slept restlessly the night before. My dreams were filled with the thoughts of obtaining a large amounts of money, and my mind kept questioning the odd stares from the royal family. Even though it didn't seem that their glazes weren't disproving in any way, my subconscious mind made it out that the family were judging every aspect of my being, like I wasn't good enough for them.

Shaking off the thoughts of my subconscious thoughts, I pushed the front door open, and set off to my day's job. I wouldn't have to be gone for long because Father was working from home today.

Deciding I didn't feel like being on my own, I took a detour to my best friend, Lillian's house. I found her tending to her mother's vegetable garden, working quickly to get back inside before the rain came. She looked up at me when she heard my approaching footsteps.

"Beka!" she beamed. "How are you?"

"I've been better," I replied with a tired smile. "Would you like to come with me to look for flowers?"

Lilly looked up at the clouds, wondering if it was a smart idea.

"The trees offer pretty good cover from the rain, and if we get stuck I know a good shelter place."

Smiling, Lilly nodded eagerly, before racing back into the house to tell her mother,who, I could see through the window, was in the kitchen to tell her where she would be.

When she returned to my side, I realized I hadn't taken anybody with me to the forest before. I preferred to work alone, but for some reason, today I felt the need to have a fellow companion.

As much as I would have preferred it to be because of my tired state, our walk wasn't silent. Lillian felt the need to tell me every aspect of her life every time I saw her. Just being with her sometimes made me exhausted. I contributed the necessary responses, the yes's and the no's, but other than that I wasn't listening.