Chapter Eighteen- Becoming a part of The Family

I woke up on the day of the ball, feeling incredibly nervous. The whole week prior, I had to undergo lessons on how to speak, act and walk like a royal. Now that the day had approached, I felt like all my progress had just gone out the window. The nervousness had kept me up all night, and as a result, or in Helena's case, a major disaster; I had tired bags under my eyes. Not even my tea managed to settle me down into a comfortable sleep.

I had overslept, missing breakfast, which Helena too fond of. Simon didn't seem to mind on the other hand. He left me to sleep, but the boys thought otherwise. The six of them were jumping all over the bed, screaming, and carrying on like they were banshees. I rolled myself up in the duvet, trying to ignore them, but Louis ripped it out of my grip.

The morning air surrounded me, and my skin prickled. I sat up at gave the six boys a very dirty glare.

"I'm giving the six of you a head start. I wouldn't waste it." I said menacingly. The boys gave me panic-stricken looks before bolting out of the door. I sighed tiredly, and flopped back onto the bed. I closed my eyes, and as a couple minutes passed I was almost on the verge of sleep, until Helena came into the room.

"Good morning Beka." She said bubbly. I groaned a greeting back, but it sounded more like a cranky bear. Helena just laughed at my attempt of conversation, while trying to pull me out of the comfy bed.

"Today's your big day Beka, you're signing the adoption documents, and who can forget the ball. I'm so excited." She gushed.

I rolled my eyes tiredly. Helena wasn't getting me ready yet. She was just making sure I was awake, so by the time I've had breakfast and signed the documents, it would be enough time to get me ready.

"Speaking of the ball, will you be going with anybody?" I asked her curiously, speaking for the first time.

Helena's smile dropped a little. "No, not this time, but it doesn't bother me, I'll be able to watch over you, and talk to my friends, so it's fine." She said more to herself than me.

A small crease formed in between my eyebrows. I was hoping that Simon would have asked her, but because he didn't I was forced into bringing the matchmaking skills out again. "Helena, what do you think of Simon?" I asked bluntly

Helena gave me a look that suggested that she wasn't expecting my question. "You mean the King?" she asked, and I rolled my eyes and nodded. "Well he's my boss. He's very fair with his wages, and he gives me and many other servants a home here in the castle." She smiled.

I sighed, shaking my head. Simon had said close to the same thing. The two were so similar. "What do you think of him on a personal level?" I asked, and she gave me a sceptical stare.

"King Simon is a very kind, compassionate man, who cares about a lot of people, even if they're his servants. He says they are family to him. I like that about him." She said smiling to herself.

I nodded, taking in what she had just said. Helena spoke very fondly of Simon, and by the way that goofy smile spread across her lips, only made me think that she liked him more.

Helena let me borrow a slip on gown that was just a comfortable outfit until I had to change for tonight.

Once I was dressed, Helena told me that the boys and Simon were waiting with the adoption papers, and some breakfast in the Dining Hall. She wished me good luck before walking towards the kitchen, to help Fredrick cook for the catering.

I asked Simon to give me an extension on signing the documents, because I just wanted to think it over for a while, and within the week, I had made my final decision. I was definitely signing the documents; I was just a bit hesitant about becoming the princess. I liked being me, and I didn't want to become a different person, but Simon eased out my internal struggle and told me that the change was up to me. If I didn't want to be any different than I already was, I wouldn't be. He joked my mind was too stubborn for that to happen, and I agreed.