Chapter Twenty-Two- The Ballet Dancer

Ashley's POV-

There was a huge fight that was happening between one of King Simon's sons and another man. There was several people crowding around them, watching the two bicker, but I didn't want to get involved. I didn't find it that interesting either, bickering bores me.

Before the fight had started, I sat at one of the tables, playing with the edge of the silk table cloth, drawing circles in the abstract patterns subconsciously, while watching all the couples dance around the room, enviously. My family had all disappeared within the swarm of people, so I didn't bother going to look for them. I was just fine by myself.

I wasn't much of a ballroom dancer, ballet was more my type, but the truth is that I had never had a partner before. I've always been shy around people I didn't know, so I just stayed at the table waiting for the night to end, and my plan was turning out to be a very boring one.

I tried to block out the raised voices of the two that were fighting, by humming the tune of my ballet routine that I had recently learnt, but that wasn't working very well either. I sighed with boredom, and rested my head on my hands. I didn't even want to come to this event, it was too far away from home, but my parents made me...stupid parents.

A slight breeze ruffled my brown with golden-streaks hair, and I looked up towards the direction of an open glass door that led out into the garden. I so desperately wanted to be away from the sea of people I didn't know, so I bit my lip with anticipation, and looked back at the crowd, making sure nobody was watching me.

I stood from my seat, and made my way over to the door. I felt eyes burning into my back, so I looked behind me once more, to ease my fear of getting in trouble or followed. A boy with light brown hair, and dark blue eyes, caught my attention as he gave me a glance over, and smiled, flashing two rows of perfectly straight teeth. I blushed self-consciously, before slipping outside hurriedly.

I hadn't gone far into the garden, it was awfully dark after taking a few steps, so I made sure I stayed near the castle so I wouldn't get lost, and so I could slip back inside if someone came looking for me. The fighting stopped from inside, everything was silent until a door slammed. I stood on the bottom step, listening intently, but relaxed when the orchestra started playing again, and voices filled the room.

I suddenly recognized the music that was being played as the same tune as my ballet routine music, and a smile crept across my face. I used the small concrete courtyard as a stage, and quickly began my routine.

I closed my eyes, letting my body take over, my steps being performed like second nature. I twisted and leaped without opening my eyes, and feeling free. The warm feeling that I get in the pit of my stomach, that I always got when I was dancing, came to me, and it only made me want to dance more. I continued to twist and turn, taking up all the space in the courtyard, trying as hard as I could to perfect every move, but still do that as elegantly as I possibly could.

The smile was still spread across my face as the song came to an end, and my hands fell to my side. I managed to get through the dance, without stumbling, which would seem like a difficult task considering the hazardously long dress Mother had put me in.

It was a light orange colour. It reminded me of autumn leaves. The top was like its own corset that fitted me tightly, while the bottom half was a free flowing skirt that puffed out around me. I thought of it all being too much, but my mother insisted, and as they say, Mother knows best.

I opened my eyes, and almost fell over in fright. The boy that had seen me leave, was standing an arms distance away, smiling friendly. I placed my hand on my chest, and took a deep breath, trying to slow my pounding heart.