Chapter Thirteen- Notes, a Kitten and Plans for a Ball

I woke up the next morning, in my bed, completely exhausted. After lunch, Louis took me to the stables, and we rode the horses around the paddock. My father taught me how to ride when I was thirteen. I found it quite easy, but both Lou's and my horse didn't like each other very much, and let's just say that Lou's horse ended up bucking him off, and bolting off into the paddock.

It took us hours to get the horse back into the stables, because it was being incredibly stubborn, and by the time we did, the sun had set and we were expected for dinner. The both of us looked terrible, and I hated every second of it. There was a rip in my dress, my hair was a mess, and I was covered in dirt. My perfectionist nature was screaming at me from the inside, and I kept twitching. The boys, including Josh, who had joined us for dinner, thought it was very amusing, which I found very annoying.

I sat up in my bed, stretching. Helena hadn't arrived yet, so I considered going back to sleep, but I slipped out of bed when I saw a piece of paper had been shoved under my door. I picked up the parchment, unfolding it, and reading the bold print.

Dear Beka,

In the last couple of days I haven't been able to see you, because I've been having an internal war with myself. I can't help but feel the unbearable guilt that comes with being the reason for your family's passing. I pass by your father's old shop every morning for work, and now you've become a permanent residence at my workplace...I just can't do it anymore. So it is with a heavy heart, and a lot of arguing with Lillian, that I have decided to move my family away from the kingdom, and we're not coming back.

Yours truly,

Paul Higgins

My hands shook, and Paul's note slipped out of my hands. "No..." I whispered, tears streaming my face, and threw the door open, running down the hall, passed the Dining Hall, where all the boys and Simon were sitting. They looked up at me when I passed them, but I couldn't stop. I kept running, going the way Louis had shown me to the stables yesterday.

I got to the stables, finding Paul's horse, indeed, was missing. I gasped pain as it punctured my heart, the old wound ripping open again. I mounted the horse that I was riding yesterday, not bothering to saddle her up, because it would take too long. I rode through the town, at a gallop bareback, not caring that I was still in my night gown, and my hair probably looked like a birds next. The townspeople cleared the way, leaving a wide path for the horse to clear through.

It didn't take long for me reach the Higgins's house, and it was exactly like I remembered it. Nothing had changed, but when I jumped off the horse, and entered the house, I found it completely bare, my fear becoming true. The Higgins family were long gone, and there was no way I could get them back. An overwhelming sense of loneliness surrounded me, and I leant against the door frame.

A little thumping noise came from upstairs, and my eyes widened with hope. I took the stairs up, two at a time, and waited to hear the noise again.

Thump

The noise came from the end door in the hall, Lily's room. My heart raced with anticipation. We had spent so much time together in there, and when I swung the door open to find the dusty room empty, my eyes began to fill with tears again.

Meow

I froze in shock when I realised what was made the slight thumping noise.

"Tiggers!" I exclaimed, hugging the small, hazel eyed kitten to me. It meowed happily at me, and tried to claw at a strand of hair that was hanging over her. I noticed a folded piece of paper in her collar, and I grabbed it, unfolding it quickly, while the kitten went back to trying to climb up the curtains again, shredding them with her nails.