Chapter Three- Grey Sludge and Searing Pain

Beka's POV-

I was running, running as fast as I possibly could. My heart was in my throat, and sweat was dripping down my face, mixing with the rain that soaked me to the bone instantly. My hair kept sticking to my forehead, falling into my eyes and I had to keep brushing it away. I had forgotten about everything. My shoes, my basket, even Lilly. I had left them behind completely in my haste. I vaguely remember her saying that she'd go back to her house, but I was too focused on making it home to really take notice.

It was still raining heavily, when I had reached the centre square. I took the backstreets through the town, making my travel much shorter. I was running over a hill, and my home was just beyond it. The house came into view, and I came to a skidding stop across the grass.

Three of the royal guard's horses stood with their reins tied to the fence, looking anything but happy to have their soft coats wet and matted with mud. The house looked quite and uninviting. The curtains were closed tightly and the door that was usually left open to welcome the light spring breeze through the house was shit also.

Something's not right. I got over my brief hesitation, before barrelling down the hill almost tripping over the long hem of my dress. The house came closer and closer with my every bound. I reached the front door and slammed it open before running over the threshold. It was pitch-black inside the house, my gasps for air was the only thing I could hear.

"Mother...? Father..? Anybody...?" I called, breathlessly. No reply came, so I walked towards the kitchen, wanting to open the curtain, when I tripped on a long, odd shaped object on the floor. I scrambled to get up, getting a warm liquid on my hands and face. I managed to get the curtain open, and I was blinded by light from outside. I brought my hands up to shade my face, when I realized what the warm liquid on my hands was.

Blood dripped off my fingers and mixed with the beads of moisture dripping down my face. I looked down at the floor, finding the lifeless body of Mother. A bloodcurdling scream left my lips, as I fell to my knees, with half despair, and half exhaustion, beside her.

"No, no, no, Mother. You can't be dead. No, please, no." I cried, trying to shake her awake. I didn't work, and my heart felt like it was punctured by a sword, leaving the edges searing with the burning feeling of sadness. I patted down her soft hair, crying deeply. I didn't care that blood was seeping down onto my lap, or that the horrific sight of her slit throat made me feel slightly nauseous, the grief was too strong.

Somebody cleared their throat, and I looked up to the dining table, with a gasp of freight.

"Paul...?" I whispered. He was sitting at the head of the table, my father's usual seat, with tears slipping down his cheeks. Guilt and sorrow etched on his face, covered by splatters of blood. The door swung shut, and two other guards, that I didn't know, stood there expressionless, also covered in blood.

Realization hit me as I was looking at the two unknown men. It was too much blood for just one person to be dead.

"Where is the rest of my family...?"I whispered between broken sobs.

"They're all dead." On's of the unknown men said to me. The breath rushed out of me.

"I'm so sorry, Beka, I didn't want to, you have to believe me-..." Paul said standing up, pulling out a piece of paper, and taking a step towards me, before I interrupted him.

"Don't come any closer!" I snapped. "How could you? After everything we did for you and your wife. How dare you! Put the paper on the floor and go back to the table." He did as I ordered, and I crawled over to the note, and then returned to my mother's side.